Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Zsadist

What is Crowfall Part 4 – Champion Reveal and Updates

Pre-Alpha 1 is over and we have some new analysis. We also have some survey results and a brand new archetype revealed!

It's been awhile my fellow ADK members. Before I take advantage of my Alpha 2 access and jump into the new Hungerdome 1.1, I'm going to provide you guys with a few Crowfall updates. First and foremost, let's talk about financial. ACE has been able to get 2.4 million in kickstarter/backer pledges to date with another 3.5 million in investments from other sources which comes to 5.9 million in equity to develop their game (So we're doing good there). Current backer goal is building funds to hire a veteran QA analyst. For those that don't know, QA in this industry is game testing. But due to having a more involved process in game development, their job is to replicate reported player bugs in house so engineers and developers can find a solution. Alright. Money talk is over. Let's talk about where Crowfall is since my last article. Hungerdome wrapped up with Pre-alpha testers, Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 backers getting invites. (I was not currently at that level of backing. So pre-alpha 2 will be my first chance to play the game. The hungerdome test isn't the overall game. These tests are to make sure their combat mechanics are working and to gather information. It's basically a portion of the map with some loot with a massive keep in the center. The object is to survive the longest. Anyone who's watched DayZ hungerdome matches knows how it exactly works. Last test had the Knight, Confessor, and Legionnaire archetypes. Hungerdome 1.1 will introduce the Champion archetype, which we'll discuss later. Hungerdome 1.0 wrap up came out in October. It reveals some interesting information. Confessor was most played, showing that a majority of players still chose a high damage class in hope of being the superstar. Next followed by the knight, and finally legionnaire came last. This I find interesting because it shows that people might still be leery to the “support” archetypes. Legionnaire, if you guys remember, is the first support class. He is a front line melee support and povides buffs for the front line while also possessing some good crowd control options. Also remember folks, there will be no fire hose healing. You will not get to sit in the background and spray heals all over your party during the fight. There will be some support heals but ACE is steady fast in their resolve to healer classes. This is unconventional in the fact that a majority of the people who now play MMOs are World of Warcraft and the many other theme park WoW clones type of veterans. So this change of pace will really effect the way that a lot of people play. Where the sandbox players of games such as Shadowbane, EVE Online, Darkfall Online, Black Desert Online, Star Wars Galaxies, and the sandboxes of old will have the upper hand. This will be interesting to see how legacy guilds react to the sandbox. 

The second wrap up also points out that the server work they were able to do. When players first got in, pings were hitting 500ms total response time with 2000ms spikes. Within a few days they were able to bring it down to 100ms and few to no spikes. Next test the controller technology will be shifted to client side making it run that much cleaner. Things are progressing quite nicely.   

The Champion

Champion is the announced new archetype to be released for hungerdome 1.1. He has been sold to us as a big bruiser type of archetype. With a big mass and lots of heavy blows. So lets dive into his power set up. As always please remember that these are pre-alpha and scheduled to change. These powers are also minimal viable powers. These do not take into account customization brought by disciplines, training and runes. Like the legionnaire, the champion uses rage as a resource. This starts at zero and builds as you fight and unlock further attacks as rage is built to appropriate levels. This will decay outside of combat. The champion also uses a secondary resource called Hatred. Same rules of Rage, but it fuels his ultimate warrior power. Hatred also is built from the reception of damage as well as dishing it out. So logic states that a drawn out fight with a champion is only building up his strength where as a short massive damage amounts would overwhelm the champion. Now lets talk size because it matters in Crowfall. Physics is earth based, so big means heavy and big. Small means small and lighter. The champion is a bit taller than the knight but he is massive, a huge wall of muscle. His ultimate power is also a two stage power which buffs his stats and makes him temporarily enormous while lowering his movement speed a tad to give you the feeling of a massive juggernaut coming at you. His primary attack builds rage. It's a frontal cone attack and builds a massive amount of rage as he uses it. His right click is his gap closer. Where the knight has the chain pull, (scorpion's get over here ability) the champion has a Reverse Chain Pull. He flings out a chain and pulls himself to you.  So those are the basic attacks. Let's move into his Iframe power. First up is Flying Neckbreaker. He leaps into the air and smashes into the ground, knocking everyone down around him in a radius. His passives starts with Dirty Fighting. This is a health regen passive avoiding damage for a small amount of time means that he'll regenerate health. This is proportionate to the amount of health he's missing. The more damage he took, the faster he regenerates it out of combat. He also gets a passive called Retaliate. As you well know from reading my archetype article, these powers are the a power that can proc from a knockdown. Basically it is a counter attack. When knocked down this power pops and he'll leap to his feet and do AOE damage around himself.  Power bar powers are as follows. First up is Massive Cleave. Doing cone damage and chains into Whirling Pain, which is a channeled AOE whirling attack that moves the champion forwards doing damage to those in his path. (Think of Garen's spin to win from League of Legends) Next we have Spinning Back Fist. This attack is a single target ability and generates rage. This combos into Kick Sand, which is a cone damage dealing ability that also applies a blind effect for a few seconds to those hit by it. 

Here is an image of the blind effect caused by this.  The Vicious stomp combo is up next.

• Vicious Stomp: An instant attack that applies a movement slow to all caught in it.

• Disarming Shout: This attack applies a “suppression” game effect to all affected. Suppression effects lock out the power trays of all who are suffering from this effect. It is very nasty! (This is also another new game effect type we built for the Champion)

• Rend: This attack damages those in the cone and applies a bleed to all of them.

The next ability is Throw Hurlbat its a rage-free, ranged projectile attack. This attack is unique in that it is usable while the Champion is moving! Each time a Hurlbat hits, it applies a bleed to the target and when a target has been hit by multiple Hurlbats, their movement speed is reduced for a short period of time.  Ultimate Warrior! As the Champion is fighting and taking damage, he has been generating the Hatred resource. When his Hatred resource is full, the Champion will be able to activate this power. Activating Ultimate Warrior makes his model grow and gives him a damage buff for a moderate amount of time. They call this the Stage 2 Champion. The Champion can now fill his Hatred bar again and re-trigger Ultimate Warrior to transform him into a Stage 3 Champion for a short period of time. This stage makes him really monstrous, with a damage buff to match. When the duration of the buff ends, he shrinks back to his normal Stage 1 size and can start building Hatred again. Finally. We have Strength of the Mountain, This is the Oh shit button for the champion. The Champion is rooted in place and turned into granite for a short period of time, greatly reducing all damage being dealt to him. Every time he is hit by an attack while in this form, he gains a stacking damage buff. If his health is low, his regeneration should be high due to the Dirty Fighting passive. This should give him a quick burst of healing and, potentially, a huge damage buff when he comes out of the form.  So that about wraps this up again. As usual. Ask questions about Crowfall in the comments. Really excited for this game's release and hopefully I'll be seeing some other ADK members playing too. I promise I'll not roll around in your remains too much and might even come to your rescue.  ;) Thanks to all for reading my articles and showing interest in Crowfall.  Bonus for you folks will be a video of the Top 10 plays of pre-alpha 1.0 voiced by my fellow guildie Zim.       

Zsadist 

Sources: 

https://backers.crow...g-the-champion https://backers.crow...-powers-and-ui https://backers.crow...ey-results-pt-1 https://backers.crow...sis-postmortem https://backers.crowfall.com/#/funding 

[url=http://www.adkgamers.com/_/adknews/othernews/what-is-crowfall-part-4-%e2%80%93-champion-reveal-and-u-r674]Click here to view the article[/url]

I'm actually a backer of this game, very excited to see how it turns out! Do not have access to it yet sadly though

I'm actually a backer of this game, very excited to see how it turns out! Do not have access to it yet sadly though

I'm a backer as well. 

I'm also a member of the guild Serrated. 

I'm a backer as well. 

I'm also a member of the guild Serrated. 

Hey man I know I was quiet for a while but I'm doing better now since the surgery, we should talk soon if you still need art done.

Hey man I know I was quiet for a while but I'm doing better now since the surgery, we should talk soon if you still need art done.

You're always welcome to message me wherever you see me brotha.