Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
=ADK= warspite

Core i7 3820 OC

All,

Some prelim results of my Core i7 3820 OC on a Asus P9X79 Pro mobo with a Noctua DH-14 handling the cooling chores.

[img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/Settings.jpg[/img]

Thoughts? Advise on volts, temps, 24/7 ops. Speedstep enabled. Edited by =ADK= warspite

More pics of my new mobo and cooler.

Here's a view from above showing the Noctua DH-14 and the Raven's awesome 3-180mm intake fans.

[img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/IMG_2559.jpg[/img]

Here's a view showing the HDD cage I removed and how it opens up the 3rd (left-most) intake fan. Before I removed the cage, the left-most fan was almost totally blocked by the cage. I bought adapters for my HDDs and put them in the 5.25" drive bays to up the airflow through the case.

[img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/IMG_2557.jpg[/img]

A nice view showing the Gigabyte GTX 670 and its Windforce cooler. The only other PCI card I have installed is a Creative X-fi Titanium sound card.

[img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/IMG_2558.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Mr. Bitches' timestamp='1339878913' post='32515']
That's AWESOME...how much did you bump up the vcore?
[/quote]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I kept the speed step enabled, and at idle CPUZ showed about 1.060 Vcore, I adjusted it manually to 1.345 for the OC. It seems to run fine at these settings, but I can't say I like the temps (near 70C under load). I think I will bring it down to 4.3GHz and about 1.300 Vcore on the volts until the Arctic Silver 5 has a change to bake in, then I will give it another go and see if the temps are better.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]war[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Novaura' timestamp='1339881591' post='32559']
GTX 670!!?!

Thats not fair!

I love the build though dude, awesome job!
[/quote]

Thanks! OC'ing this setup is a lot harder than the Core i5!

How's Battlefield 3 run on that thing? This Monday I'm going to be getting a 670 and then in the following few weeks I'll also be upgrading to an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard with an i7 3770k as the processor. Also gonna grab an H100 for the cooling on the CPU and an SSD of some sort, not positive which brand yet.

[quote name='Mr. Bitches' timestamp='1339906323' post='32614']
what are your ambient temps?
[/quote]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]My ambient temp was 69F (20.6C).[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='desdiinova' timestamp='1339908140' post='32616']
How's Battlefield 3 run on that thing? This Monday I'm going to be getting a 670 and then in the following few weeks I'll also be upgrading to an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard with an i7 3770k as the processor. Also gonna grab an H100 for the cooling on the CPU and an SSD of some sort, not positive which brand yet.
[/quote]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I haven't played that much (about 2 hours), and I have more tweaking to do, but so far it runs pretty well. I have hyperthreading enabled and I haven't noticed the microstuttering some have seen with the HT-enabled CPUs. So far so good. I ran the heaven benchmark last night with all settings maxed and my results are about 3.5 FPS LESS than war_jr's rig (my old hdwe). I want to see if I can close that gap a little and at least get my old level of performance back (not that I expected this PC to be faster than my Core i5 2500K at gaming).[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Final OverClock (for now).[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I settled on 4.3GHz as my overclock... the Volts and Temps are too good and the performance is where it needs to be. I couldn't stand the volts and temps in the first image for 24/7 ops. But just backing of 200MHz put me where I need to be. As you all know, I would never see the difference between 4.3GHz and 4.5Ghz in game anyway, so it didn't make sense to push the system that hard. I'd rather be cool and stable than have temps at or above 70C (with a load on the GPU, those temps would be even HIGHER due to the card heating the air inside the case). So, I settled to keep the volts and temps within reason and to be sure my rig wouldn't overheat while gaming.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Here's a pic of the P95 burn after about 8 hours.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/OCFinal.jpg[/img][/font][/size][/color] Edited by =ADK= warspite

could be the pic angle, but your GPU looks like it almost touches your heat sink...lol... Nice, hope the upgrade was worth it..

Over all I am very happy with mine, but definitely wasn't a huge, or even big upgrade from what I had. My son's was from a core 2 duo with 2 gb and a GTX 280 to what I had was huge for him.....

Basilcy for those running I5 or better, your PC still has lots of life left with minor upgrades (GPU and memory, maybe SSD)

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]The only mystery with this build that I haven't been able to solve yet is that, with all clocks equal, I seem to have lost about 3.5FPS in the Heaven benchmark. Where I was able to consistently get about 50.5FPS, I now only get about 46.5FPS. Ideas anyone? Grrrr, I hate that my Core i5 2500K SB rig is, clock-for-clock, a little faster (~ 9%) than my SB-E rig. Perhaps a driver change from the version I was running on my SB rig?[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1339954417' post='32665']
could be the pic angle, but your GPU looks like it almost touches your heat sink...lol... Nice, hope the upgrade was worth it..

Over all I am very happy with mine, but definitely wasn't a huge, or even big upgrade from what I had. My son's was from a core 2 duo with 2 gb and a GTX 280 to what I had was huge for him.....

Basilcy for those running I5 or better, your PC still has lots of life left with minor upgrades (GPU and memory, maybe SSD)
[/quote]

[color=#ffa500][size=4]There is probably about a half-inch between the HSF and the GPU. Seems to be okay. I thought of moving it to one of the other slots, but the mobo guide recommends this slot for single GPU ops. So, I left it there for now. Cooling seems fine.[/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4]I fully agree that a core i5 2500K on a P67 mobo (like what I gave war_jr) has TONS of life left in it. In fact, it runs the Heaven benchmark at 3.5FPS FASTER than my X79 rig. The only reason I upgraded was similar to yours. My kid's PC was getting old (DFI out of the mobo business) and was no longer supported. Plus, I got a great deal on my mobo ($215 for the P9X79 Pro) and the CPU ($259 for the Core i7 3820). That pretty much notched it for me, despite the fact that it doesn't do much for gaming. As I said, my PC is slower at gaming. That being said, it does okay otherwise. I probably would have been better off with another core i5 CPU and a Z68 chipset board.[/size][/color]

[quote name='-Grimreaperx2-' timestamp='1340071611' post='32876']
Are the max's bugged or something? I have a hard time believing some of your fans its 63000 rpm and your board hit somewhere around 127 c....thats pass boiling man...da fuq?
[/quote]

[color=#ffa500][size=4]Stupid Hardware Monitor! I use Core Temp for actual readings and tracking. Dunno what's wrong with hardware monitor, but I mostly ignore it. If you go by the Hardware monitor, my temps look pretty good.[/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4]war[/size][/color]

Did you re oc your GPU? 3.5 on a synthetic test can be a driver issue. Meaning the newer driver is not preforming as well.

Better to see in game, what was your BF3 then VS now? IMO That is a better real world test.

I would like to see you run the test with the older driver and see if you did re OC your GPU to what it was.

War you know that computer hardware are complex pieces. The only explanations I can come up with:
1) Is that some where some how even with the clock speeds even, somewhere you could be creating a bottleneck. Its and interesting phenomenon. Some what like this: When comparing motherboards 2 very similar boards, one can get getter fps vs the other, or one can OC better. When the only differences are just a few features. Although design and flow of a motherboard are very important.

2) While bench mark programs are GOOD ways to make performance and measure improvements and tweaks...they arent rock solid. Im sure you know that sometimes cutting back your graphics can hurt more then help. If you dont, I have experienced that....Seriously. What i am getting at is while I know you are after the score, benchmarks are good, buts its how it feels and preforms in actual "real world" use. Reasons could be the way its programmed or certain benchmarks measure differently. Sometimes hardware and software do strange things.

3) This is a possibility, but Im sure your OC skills are eons pass a novice...but possible change of a bad OC? Sometimes with a bad OC you dont get BSOD or hard lag/jittering, or any signs until you do one certain thing. This also has happened in my experience. You can game all day push it to the max then take a break to watch a youtube video...and....BSOD! So another possibility that an OC is causing the loss in FPS.

Honestly though do you need to OC? And I mean...really? I have my CPU OC to 4.0 and thats about it, but it does everything great. Although its always fun seeing how far you can go!

Grim out this. (Ill be back!)

[quote name='desdiinova' timestamp='1339908140' post='32616']
[/quote]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500]BF3 runs really well. I run most of the graphics settings on "low" and get consistent 120+ FPS. With the 670, gameplay is very smooth. The setup you are looking at should be a gaming beast. I don't know if you like to OC, but the 3770K (actually all IB CPUs) have thermal interface issues inside their protective covers that make cooling them a bit more challenging. A quick article describing the issue is [/color][url="http://www.techpowerup.com/164858/Ivy-Bridge-Temperatures-Could-Be-Linked-To-TIM-Inside-Integrated-Heatspreader-Report.html"][color=#FFA500]here[/color][/url][color=#FFA500]. As long as you keep your OCs reasonable (or don't OC at all), you will be very happy with the setup you're building.[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Let us know how it turns out![/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='-Grimreaperx2-' timestamp='1340245182' post='33222']
War you know that computer hardware are complex pieces. The only explanations I can come up with:
1) Is that some where some how even with the clock speeds even, somewhere you could be creating a bottleneck. Its and interesting phenomenon. Some what like this: When comparing motherboards 2 very similar boards, one can get getter fps vs the other, or one can OC better. When the only differences are just a few features. Although design and flow of a motherboard are very important.

2) While bench mark programs are GOOD ways to make performance and measure improvements and tweaks...they arent rock solid. Im sure you know that sometimes cutting back your graphics can hurt more then help. If you dont, I have experienced that....Seriously. What i am getting at is while I know you are after the score, benchmarks are good, buts its how it feels and preforms in actual "real world" use. Reasons could be the way its programmed or certain benchmarks measure differently. Sometimes hardware and software do strange things.

3) This is a possibility, but Im sure your OC skills are eons pass a novice...but possible change of a bad OC? Sometimes with a bad OC you dont get BSOD or hard lag/jittering, or any signs until you do one certain thing. This also has happened in my experience. You can game all day push it to the max then take a break to watch a youtube video...and....BSOD! So another possibility that an OC is causing the loss in FPS.

Honestly though do you need to OC? And I mean...really? I have my CPU OC to 4.0 and thats about it, but it does everything great. Although its always fun seeing how far you can go!

Grim out this. (Ill be back!)
[/quote]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Grim,[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Very good comments! You make some great points and if I were comparing "apples to apples" (similar CPUs on similar chipsets), I would likely have reason to scratch my head. Since I'm comparing significantly difference CPUs and chipsets (SB-E vs SB... P67 vs X79), I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that my benchmark results come out different. It could be that the Heaven benchmark is optimized to perform better on SB CPUs and chipsets (this kind of thing happens all the time when comparing AMD and Intel CPUs/chipsets). It's also no big secret that quad channel memory has significantly more latency than dual channel memory (more overhead required to operate 4 vice 2 channels). Your bottom line opinion is also very valid... BF3 (and everything else I throw at it) runs very well. Hey, we're only talking about 3.5 FPS on one benchmark after all! Given that, I will content myself with my rig's performance and just enjoy it.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]As far as the OC goes, 4.3GHz was very easy to achieve. I left the Bclock where it was (100MHz), and maxed the multiplier (43), giving me 4.3GHz. The 100MHz Bclock makes for very stable ops and I was able run the 43 multiplier rock stable at volts below 1.3Vcore. Temps with the DH-14 are also awesome, never getting above 62C after about 8 hours in P95. This is easily a 24/7/365 config that I can be happy with. I can push 4.5GHz, but then I would have to settle for temps in the mid-70C range, and that was just too hot for me (although others are not troubled by this). And seriously, in gaming it is impossible to tell the difference between the two CPU speeds.\[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Thanks for your perspective, Grim![/font][/size][/color]

[color=#FFA500][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]All the best,[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='=ADK= warspite' timestamp='1340455797' post='33664']
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500]BF3 runs really well. I run most of the graphics settings on "low" and get consistent 120+ FPS. With the 670, gameplay is very smooth. The setup you are looking at should be a gaming beast. I don't know if you like to OC, but the 3770K (actually all IB CPUs) have thermal interface issues inside their protective covers that make cooling them a bit more challenging. A quick article describing the issue is [/color][url="http://www.techpowerup.com/164858/Ivy-Bridge-Temperatures-Could-Be-Linked-To-TIM-Inside-Integrated-Heatspreader-Report.html"][color=#FFA500]here[/color][/url][color=#FFA500]. As long as you keep your OCs reasonable (or don't OC at all), you will be very happy with the setup you're building.[/color][/font]

[color=#FFA500][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Let us know how it turns out![/font][/color]

[color=#FFA500][font=comic sans ms,cursive]war[/font][/color]
[/quote]

You shouldn't really OC ur computer because in the long run it will wear out faster. For example, if you go to digitalstorm.com they can OC ur computer up to like 5.5 ghz. Yes it will run extremely well but eventually it will wear out from all the use. Edited by HellKnightFire

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1340165052' post='33058']
Did you re oc your GPU? 3.5 on a synthetic test can be a driver issue. Meaning the newer driver is not preforming as well.

Better to see in game, what was your BF3 then VS now? IMO That is a better real world test.

I would like to see you run the test with the older driver and see if you did re OC your GPU to what it was.
[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]I think it very well could be a driver issue. I never did go back and test b/c in game, I couldn't really see a difference in performance. BF3 runs awesome on my rig, with the lowest FPS around 90FPS and it usually runs about 130FPS or better on average. I couldn't be happier with how my system is performing. One thing I have noticed is that when I run BF3, my CPU shows pretty consistent usage across 5 cores. I didn't think BF3 would multithread across more than 4 cores, but I suppose it could be possible. Then again, it may be another process that is tasking that 5th core.[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]war[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='=ADK= warspite' timestamp='1342638339' post='37405']
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500]I think it very well could be a driver issue. I never did go back and test b/c in game, I couldn't really see a difference in performance. BF3 runs awesome on my rig, with the lowest FPS around 90FPS and it usually runs about 130FPS or better on average. I couldn't be happier with how my system is performing. One thing I have noticed is that when I run BF3, my CPU shows pretty consistent usage across 5 cores. I didn't think BF3 would multithread across more than 4 cores, but I suppose it could be possible. Then again, it may be another process that is tasking that 5th core.[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500]war[/color][/font]
[/quote]

All in all I am very pleased also, but I must add I personally didn't notice MUCH improvement over all in game. Yes, some, and seems more stable over all. But I would bet the main improvement, to my surprise, is the SSD. Rest is single percent, or low teens, not really the bang I hoped but was expecting this from my research. Don't get me wrong, my son got a huge upgrade, so by no means a bad overall experience!

[quote name='HellKnightFire' timestamp='1342461951' post='37106']
You shouldn't really OC ur computer because in the long run it will wear out faster. For example, if you go to digitalstorm.com they can OC ur computer up to like 5.5 ghz. Yes it will run extremely well but eventually it will wear out from all the use.
[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]Well... yes and no to your statement above. It is possible to achieve a significant OC on a CPU or a GPU without causing long term damage to the component or shortening its operating life provided you keep your core voltage within reason. Two key factors in limiting potential harm to CPUs and/or GPUs are voltage (primary) and heat (secondary). The reason I say this is that you can limit the life of your components at stock clocks and/or voltages with crappy heat solutions. This is one of the reasons why case selection, case ventilation, and case location are so important to long term PC viability. The heatsink-fan (HSF) you select is also an important factor. If you run at stock clocks, have a well ventilated case, and your case is located away from heat sources (baseboards/radiators) and is in a ventilated room, you should do fine and your CPU will likely perform throughout its designed life cycle. Do otherwise, then... you get the picture.[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]Voltage, even more than clock speed, is the principle limiter of a CPU's life cycle. People add volts to gain stability at higher clock speeds. They are able to do so because they normally have a heat solution in place to keep their CPUs within their operating temperature envelope. While this keeps your CPU stable in the short term, exceeding a CPU's maximum operating voltage will, over time, degrade your CPU. Why? Because over-volting not only increases heat, but can actually act to degrade the physical structures of the CPU itself over time. This is why when you consider OC'ing a CPU, it is best to do your research and learn what Intel's recommended max continuous voltage is and not exceed it, even if you have a solid cooling solution.[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]hope this helps,[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]war[/size][/color][/font] Edited by =ADK= warspite

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1342638763' post='37406']
All in all I am very pleased also, but I must add I personally didn't notice MUCH improvement over all in game. Yes, some, and seems more stable over all. But I would bet the main improvement, to my surprise, is the SSD. Rest is single percent, or low teens, not really the bang I hoped but was expecting this from my research. Don't get me wrong, my son got a huge upgrade, so by no means a bad overall experience!
[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]Same here! My son also made out huge on MY upgrade (LoL). I'm pretty happy with my rig and it should do pretty awesome for the next couple of years at least. And yes, SSDs are a huge helping of AWESOME SAUCE!!![/size][/color][/font]

Sign in to follow this