Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Sign in to follow this  
Element

Requesting a pro overclocker

I'm looking for someone here who knows their shit in all things overclock.

Specifically CPU overclocking and possibly RAMs.

If you got an asus motherboard then it will make my troubleshooting easier. Let me know thanks. Otherwise I'll have to use overclocker.net site or tom's hardware... zzzz

I'm looking for someone here who knows their shit in all things overclock.
Specifically CPU overclocking and possibly RAMs.

If you got an asus motherboard then it will make my troubleshooting easier. Let me know thanks. Otherwise I'll have to use overclocker.net site or tom's hardware... zzzz

Still not sure why you don't want to use the Auto Tuner.

I can easily out my cpu to 4.5 to 5Ghz and its stable with no issues.

In fact I believe I have been OC to 4.5 the last 7 months nonstop

It forces too much voltage compare to what people get manually.

Right now i'm at 1.205v at 4.4ghz ... still going to test for stability. Auto tuner puts it at 1.298v. If I'm going for that voltage, I'd set it at 4.6ghz but i am not. No reason for my computer to sit near 1.3v. If this cpu is this bad on overclocking, I'll just wait for skylake and exchange these parts in microcenter.

Element,

This is my first post after having been out of gaming for about a year.  Although I don't have the same mobo as you (I have an MSI mobo), I think I can still help.

Getting a decent OC with your 4790K should be pretty easy.  Try the following settings to get a respectable 4.6GHz OC:

- Use a "fixed" clock (as opposed to dynamic)

- Apply the OC to all cores

- Disable EIST (speed step)

- Enable the C-states

- Run your RAM at its native clocks (1866MHz).  Increasing your memory bandwidth isn't worth the trouble for gaming, and your memory frequency is already pretty decent.  Lots of articles out there on its minimal impact on gaming performance.

At this point, all you should need to do is set your multiplier to 46 (for 4.6GHz) and then set your Vcore to 1.28v. 

Save your settings and boot.  Your system should test out fine.  Don't worry about trying for higher clocks, as you will quickly need more voltage (over 1.3v) and will not derive any real benefit from it... especially for gaming.

Better to have a fast, stable system than a tiny bit faster one that will crash on you or burn itself up.

war

@[member='Element']

Skylake? You realize how marginal gains from bumping up CPU's are right? Especially for gaming. This isn't GPU land.

Do what Warspite is advising you to do then.

I have been OCing both ways for years now and had no issues.

Element,

Here is a link to a good article that makes a case for overclocking the 4790K.  The good info is toward the bottom of the page.

YYMV.

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

I don't think my cpu is going to be stable with 1.28v at 4.6 GHz. I might got unlucky and scored a lower quality cpu out of the box. 1.205v for a 4.4 ghz stable when half the people on forums have stability at 1.175v?

Do you still use teamspeak @=ADK= warspite ?

what the asus motherboard gives me has a shit tons of settings I didn't even know existed for the overclock experts.

Edited by Element

You make a good point... lots of times it all comes down to luck.  The article I linked has some good info.  I think there is a table that lists the various Vcores that were achieved at different OCs with the 4790K.  It is a sweet processor, and truth be told you will likely never see the difference between 4.4 and 4.6GHz.  After all, 200MHz is only 5%.

I still need to install TS and when I do I will join the server.

war

Sign in to follow this