Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
terminatorjim6300

Problems Playing Star Wars movies on my XPS Laptop

Hey guys, my little brother had his birthday yesterday, and he got the Star Wars movies on DVD, now I let him play on my old Dell XPS M1710 laptop, you can see it explained in detail here http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-xps-m1710-review-pics-specs/ It does have the cooling issues that Dell was sued over in 2011 or so, but I have Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit installed and it is running Windows Media Player 11, when he was watching Star Wars 2, I noticed it was lagging kind of a lot, especially in the action scenes, I am at a loss to explain this especially since it runs other movies like Transformers 4 and Star Trek Into Darkness flawlessly. If you guys have better software to suggest for playing DVD movies that is a free download, I would greatly appreciate it. Well, here are its specs

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 @ 2.33 GHZ

GPU: Nvidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX with 512MB of VRAM

RAM 2GB

HDD: 180GB

Those are its specs, I would greatly appreciate any help guys, and thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Try Windows Media Player Classic. One of my favorite video players. Quick to load and no annoying unnecessary graphics and info added. I doubt this will make a difference, but maybe you need a updated/correct video codec. Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? That rig is at least 9 years old... maybe its time to reinstall windows. A fresh install, hopefully you have your old Dell CDs, if not might set you back a hour or two getting all the basic drivers and installing them.  I try and keep my non-essential background running programs to a minimum, but just from everything my Windows 7 64-bit OS is using 4gigs (5.4gigs including Chrome) of RAM. You have only 2gigs.... so yeah. Alternative add my page filing space allotted. How much of your HDD is free space? Last defragmentation of that drive? Being such a old system and low memory/space for current software you're pretty much giving that rig hospice care.

@[member='DowntownRiots 95/5']

There usually isn't much programs running in the background, it has steam and origin, but those don't start on bootup, also it has over 10GB of HDD space and Windows 7 was reinstalled about six months ago from Dell restore discs, it has not been defragged however, that may help, the performance monitor says around 50-60 % of ram is used on startup. Mostly it is for my little brother who plays Jedi Knight, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 on it, and I did recently have it blown out with an air compressor, so the fans are working good again, I will try that software you recommended and also see about defraging. Also it is not connected to the internet or anything, so nothing is updating in the background.

Another thing that help in over all performance is to go to you Performance Options, Virtual Memory, and Power Profiles.

Performance Options

Start -> Right Click on Computer -> Advance System Settings -> Advance Tab -> Performance -> Settings... -> Visual Effects Tab -> Click on Adjest for best performance -> Apply.

This should totally disable all the 'pretty features of Windows interface. The stuff that makes it looks nice (ie Shadows, translucency, animated window movements, and other various effects). If you don't like the look of the color scheme, and you probably won't, simple fix to change coloring is...

Right Click on the Desktop -> Personalize -> Windows Color.

From there you can change how all the things that Windows' windows are displayed (color of windows/text/icons, size of buttons, font, font size, etc).

Virtual Memory

Similar to the previous steps for Windows Performance options this is mainly for adding 'extra RAM' to your system by is hard drive space for RAM processes. This may help in all some intensive programs needing the extra space to run their functions. I will warn you adding only so much will make a difference, slight as it might be, but you are limited as well by your free space on your hard drive. While I have yet to find a specific answer on how much free space to have leaving enough space for your temp files to be added without eating all the memory is important. Also the less space you have free on your hard drive does increase both the amount of defragmentation and time it takes to defrag the drive. So leaving at least a couple of free gigs free (5-10gigs) is what I try to leave. Currently I have about 518gigs free on spread across three drive (194gigs avgerage) I am not worried about it at the moment. So if you could add at least 2 gigs to Virtual Memory you should see some improvement in running certain programs or just longevity of use between restarts.

Start -> Right Click on Computer -> Advance System Settings -> Advance Tab -> Performance -> Settings... -> Advance Tab -> Virtual Memory Section - Change... - Select available drive -> Custom Size -> add allocated space,

Power Profiles

Final suggestion I can give is adjust power profile performance settings. This pretty much tells your computer should it focus on its resources on making things run smoothly or running pretty. When performance is an issues, smoothly is priority. 

Right Click on the Desktop -> Personalize -> Screen Saver ->Power Management Section -> Power Management - Change power settings -> Click on High Performance  

Option continuence down the rabbit hole... 

Right Click on the Desktop -> Personalize -> Screen Saver ->Power Management Section -> Power Management - Change power settings -> Chance advance power settings -> Drop down menu -> High performance.

Hope this help further, good luck!!

As its only happening for a specific set of Discs i would not blame config of the machine or mem or any of that . Possibly the DVD rom optic is on the way out and as these disks are nice new and shiny they could be sending higher level of reflection back into the laser lens causing jitters or lag.  IF you can get hold of an external dvdrom or pop one from a dekstop pc into a caddy as test you can verify bypassing local dvd rom drive and verifying if rest of pc is not at fault. the fact others play fine tells me its the drive . Potentiometer tweaks on dvd lens can be done but if your doing that its already dying.  Also test kodi as a media player ( IT has a world of cool stuff too) Google genisis for kodi :-).