Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
YaYaBoyy

Hyper threading

As I am going through the process of building a pc I cannot help but wonder when, and if, games and more applications will begin to utilize hyper threading. If it will be soon, it may be worth the extra buck to get a high end i7 and "future proof" yourself. 

I have always thought this question best answered by considering the entirety of your PC experience, not just gaming.  Also, you might well consider how long you intend to keep the hardware you have.  I'm willing to bet that Plaxus' rig is still going strong not only for gaming, but for just about any other application he cares to run. Another thing to consider is that with each passing day not only applications, but operating systems as well are making better use of hardware resources.  I was amazed at the benefit I got from the two extra cores in my core i7 3930K when I upgraded from Win7 to Win8.1.  I could also see the benefits of hyperthreading, especially on large multiplayer maps in BF3 and BF4.

If you can afford to go Core i7, I would do so if only to take advantage of future application and OS upgrades that make better use of it.  If hyperthreading ever causes a problem, it is fairly simple to disable it in UEFI.

war

Watch this space windows 10 and DX 12 bringing full core usage on future titles . I run on a dual core cpu just for the same reasons you point out , I dont see the value of i7 when no game uses all the cores . My system runs 8GB of Ram duo core cpu and a 2GB DDr 5 Graphics card and nothing out there phases it on full HD gaming. Much cheaper to get a board that will support an i7 and only when games are written to take advantage of DX12 will i move and when that happens current i7 prices will have dropped 50%. :-) 

Actually hyper-threading is a way Intel tricks the CPU into thinking it has more cores to push more data through the CPU. Obviously the actual physical cores is half. Unlike dual gpu which uses drivers to split the usage, hyper-threading is done on the machine code level thus any application will utilize the extra fake cores. Now all modern games utilizing dx 11 and above will utilize quad and more cores.