Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ochosi

Upgrades to current system (Gameing Desktop)

Evening guys! I'm looking for some input for upgrading my desktop to give it some extra life over the next few years. This is my current set up.

Motherboard: MSi P55-GD80

Processor: i7-870 2.93 GHz w/ huge non-Intel heat sink (Cant remember model)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 EVGA Fermi

RAM: 8 GB G. Skill DDR3 1333 (Don't know specific model)

PSU: Thermaltake 700 Watt

HD: WD 1TB 7200 RPM

Currently I play Planet Side 2 and Elite Dangerous, along with some video editing. I would like to, down the line, be able to support an Ocules Rift and be able to use it do its full potential. 

Id like to spend in the $600 range to upgrade the system and down the line when I build a new system be able to move some stuff over i.e. GPU, RAM, and HDD.

So there you go! Thanks guys!

New Video card and SSD would gain you the most for for your current budget. Personally, I'm a fan of the Radeon R9's particularly since the prices have come down quite a bit lately. That said, most will probably recommend a gtx 970 (sub $400)  and Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (approx. $200 on sale).

First thing, GET MORE RAM. i would suggest 8 more gb. second, upgrade to windows 8.1, as 8.1 is less glitchey than 7 and 8. third, get a new gpu, i would suggest an r9290x2, or if you dont want to spend $800 on a graphics card, then an r9290x. fourth, get an ssd. ssd's are faster than hdd's, that is a fact of life. finally, get a sound card. any will do, but i would suggest a recon3d thx pcie fatal1ty.

@[member='Ochosi']

@[member='ibulleti']

@[member='5W49450URU5R3X']

You guys are serious about an upgrading to an SSD? I would hope not.

1) Windows 7 doesn't fully support SSD's compared to W8.1

2) Games load in to RAM, you can see the disk usage from the perfomance monitor. I bet it will never go above 20% (depending on programs running in the background)

3) Unless you require quick boot times (like a laptop) really not required unless you shut your PC down a lot.

I have an SSD, by far not the worse purchase but not the best either compared to a platter drive for 1/4 of the cost.

I run my games off a Platter HD and usually among the top 5 ready to play on any game I play. So the SSD worth it???? No, not at all.

Unless @[member='Ochosi'] you want to upgrade to last years tech, a GPU will help. But keep in mind with your current configuration a newest GPU will not be a bottleneck and will not be able to take full advantage of newest games and DirectX untill you upgrade to W8.1 or 10. W7 will not have the latest DirectX version (Stopped at 11.2 I believe) where 8.1 and 10 will have version 12 which the new cards fully support. 

After a GPU, save up. Another $600 will get you a good Mobo, Ram and CPU. So the 970 is going for $350 ish. Only need to save up $350 then.

Edited by Bromance

@[member='Bromance']

The question was what can be done with the given budget to breath some life into the PC in and out of gaming. Given the requirement, GPU and SSD would be worth considering. Not sure what you meant by Win7 doesn't fully support SSD. Some features are not enabled by default, but I'm not certain what isn't there to qualify the comment made.

To a degree I agree with @[member='Bromance'].

On your budget get the best gfx card and more ram. While an ssd is nice(I have one for windows and main games) on your budget your money is better spent else where. Lots of people will recommend nvidia, I use ATI/AMD and love it, take your pick, any of the top few cards of either brand will do you fine.

Your CPU/motherboard/ram would prob be best upgraded all in one go. As new faster processors come out, the motherboard chip set will change and with it faster memory will become available. Your budget means that you will be best to upgrade in a couple of stages and save up in between.

Personnaly I would wait for windows 10 to come out, before up upgrade your OS, as it will be a free upgrade of both win7 and win8/8.1. The main advantage of win 8/8.1 over 7 is better memory management and other refinements.

Win10 should be out towards the end of this year, so hold on for a free upgrade or spend out on buying win8.1 then get the free upgrade, your choice;)

I have win7 and to be honest it's fine.

Hope this helps

D.

@[member='lvcircuit']

Window 7 was updated to utilize SSD's to not rely on third party drivers and firmware. But the performance gain isn't as measurable. In Windows 8 which was designed to fully support and utilize and SSD the performance is tremendous and will use the full SATA bandwidth and more stable read/write speeds between manufactures.

Thanks guys for all the information! I think im going to get a 970 in the next few weeks and skip on the new HDD/SSD. I think I will also get a better set of RAM sticks as well! all should be under $450

I would recommend a 256GB SSD Samung Evo for boot and programs and install all games to a large HDD.   For sure, get a 970 and a RAM upgrade.  Nothing wrong with 7 and a SSD.  I ran it for 4-5 years before switching to 8.1.   Way faster than it was with the 1TB HDD I had.

This is one of my favorite SSD tweak guides.  http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

I follow most but not all options.

Here's a budget build of around $1000-$1100ish

CPU- i5-4570 @ 3.2Ghz

GPU- GeForce GTX 970 4GB

HDD-1TB 7200Mhz 64MB cashe

SSD 240GB PNY XLR8

PSU- 550W-650W range.

Mobo- your choice

OS-Windows 8.1 64 Bit

RAM- 8GB MINIMUM!

The reason for the SSD is running your OS on it will greatly increase how fast your PC boots up. I have the same SSD that I recommended and have had no problems with it. My PC boots up in 5-10 seconds. AVG:  7 seconds. Then all the startup applications are up within 20 seconds. This also improves game load in times, where battlefield 4 I load it in about 10-15 seconds depending on the map and size