Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Faustulus

Computer turning off after a few seconds, require assistance

Hello there,

A few days ago my computer started having issues. While I was watching a series it suddenly turned off. Then when restarting it did again, this time sooner. I have had this issue before, and managed to fix it by replacing the 2032 battery in the motherboard. I tried this just now, which didn't work. Thereafter I thought overheating was the issue, so I looked at the CPU cooler. I applied new cooling paste, since the old paste was quite insufficiently suited. Even though some of the connecting pins of the cooler fell of, I was able to correctly re-connect it to the motherboard. ..... The problem persisted.

Some notes:
- The 4 Phase LED lights stayed lit up previously, but now turn off when the computer is able to stay turned on for over approx. 7 seconds.
- There is a one note beep when starting up the computer.
- The computer is, to my knowledge, sufficiently cooled, yet the problem persists even with extra fans and an open case. (CPU temp; 94C, case temp; 26C)
- Already jumped the CMOS thing to clear BIOS settings

Specifications:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H55M-UD2H s1156
Processor: Intel Core I3-530 Core i3
RAM: 2x Apacer DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz 2GB
RAM: 2x Adata DDR3 1333Mhz 4GB
Videocard: Ati Radeon HD5770 1Gb Silten
Hard drive: Samsung 103SJ 1 TB
Power supply? : Gigabyte GZ-M2/X1/HKC 7060

In advance, thank you very much for reading. I hope you will be able to help! I'd be very grateful.

Greetings

My thought is that its your PSU. Do you have a spare power supply or as friend you could borrow one from. Sitting down like that is usually power related. How quickly is it happening after boot? It it happening regularly or different times each time it happens?

Just re-read op. 94 degrees if way too hot. Your motherboard is shutting down before the processor melts. Check your thermal past is not to thick and that the heatsink is firmly attached. Ensure your heatsink fan is working. Also detach the heatsink and take the fan off, clean out any fluff or dust you find. CPU heatsink fans have an uncanny ability to hoover up almost any dust around, even in in a "clean" room.

If all you were doing is watching video, your processor should be virtually idle and there for not far above its base line temp.

Hope this helps, keep use posted as to weather you have managed to sort it.

D.

All three suggestions are great, but have to be thinking something is overheating or not turning on (fans). In your bios depending on the board, should show what it thinks which fans are connected and running. Also I see alot of times people put to mush paste which insulates the CPU not ensure a even distribution of heat. Generally about a pea size dab. Just enough to barely cover the CPU.

Check power supply connections. Overtime they may vibrate loose.

Just curious as to when it is restarting, Are you able to POST okay? (AKA does it get to your OS like Windows or whatever you have loaded?) Or is it shutting itself off during the POST process? 

I would also recommend checking the power supply like it was suggested above, many of the new power supplies have the self test button on them, or you can get a tester for super cheap that you just plugin your 24 pin cable and power it on and it will test if there is something wrong. 

Are you using any sort of liquid cooling or just fan+heatsink?

Temp is way to hot . Use Arctic silver heat paste its silver based as opposed to silicon and the only thing i would ever put near a cpu . Your clips falling off the heat-sink and being able to re-affix them, are you sure they are applying adequate pressure for heat transferal ?.