Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
=ADK= warspite

Gaming Rigs

Lots of interesting and sensible comments about the core i5 2500K versus the core i7 2600K that were very well said. I would be the first to agree that any system builder has to look carefully at what they intend their PC's primary use to be, and then go from there. For those of us whose wallets do have a bottom, it comes down to the amount of $ we have and the trade offs we're willing to make in terms of cost and performance. The core i5 2500K CPU is awesome for gaming purposes, and will be at least for the near future as long as most programmers aren't putting much into multithreading their games. My personal motivation for getting the i7 2600K is that it is the current top CPU for this chipset, with 4 cores and 8 threads. What this extra $100 gets me more time moving forward. Under LGA 775, I went from a Core2 Duo (E8400) to a Core2 Quad (Q9550). I regretted not spending the extra $100 then for the Core2 Quad and wound up spending significantly more money to move up to a quad core CPU. That's a mistake (albeit a minor one) I don't intend to make with this new chipset.

Here are the economics of my decision making process...

Cost of upgrade with Core i7 2600K: $690

Cost of upgrade with Core i5 2500K: $590

Difference: $100 or 15%. So, the question you have to ask yourself is, am I willing to spend 15% more now to have the top end CPU that will perform better longer (assuming that going forward, programs and games become increasingly optimized for multicore/multithreaded CPUs)? Only time will tell. For me, I will spend the extra 15% now and hope that it will payoff going forward. However, as a compromise, choosing a core i5 2500K over a core i7 2600K is a smart move, especially if you can at some point put that $100 into a better GPU. Sometimes, choices like these really come down to personal preferences and know how you intend to use your PC and what sort of games you will mostly play.

Great discussion here and I hope it continues so that our community can make smart choices with the limited funds each of us has.

war

P.S. I STILL have that E8400 (Wolfdale) in its original box in my basement. I'm thinking about using it in an HTPC or something like that.

Just received the shipment of everything but the motherboard. And it looks like the new ram is compatible with my current motherboard, so I can throw that and the 6850 in my rig tonight!

Let us know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far everything's running great. I have all settings maxed out in any game I play and haven't seen any stuttering yet. I have not had any lockups lately either. Definitely looking forward to getting this motherboard and sandybridge going.

Lots of interesting and sensible comments about the core i5 2500K versus the core i7 2600K that were very well said. I would be the first to agree that any system builder has to look carefully at what they intend their PC's primary use to be, and then go from there. For those of us whose wallets do have a bottom, it comes down to the amount of $ we have and the trade offs we're willing to make in terms of cost and performance. The core i5 2500K CPU is awesome for gaming purposes, and will be at least for the near future as long as most programmers aren't putting much into multithreading their games. My personal motivation for getting the i7 2600K is that it is the current top CPU for this chipset, with 4 cores and 8 threads. What this extra $100 gets me more time moving forward. Under LGA 775, I went from a Core2 Duo (E8400) to a Core2 Quad (Q9550). I regretted not spending the extra $100 then for the Core2 Quad and wound up spending significantly more money to move up to a quad core CPU. That's a mistake (albeit a minor one) I don't intend to make with this new chipset.

Here are the economics of my decision making process...

Cost of upgrade with Core i7 2600K: $690

Cost of upgrade with Core i5 2500K: $590

Difference: $100 or 15%. So, the question you have to ask yourself is, am I willing to spend 15% more now to have the top end CPU that will perform better longer (assuming that going forward, programs and games become increasingly optimized for multicore/multithreaded CPUs)? Only time will tell. For me, I will spend the extra 15% now and hope that it will payoff going forward. However, as a compromise, choosing a core i5 2500K over a core i7 2600K is a smart move, especially if you can at some point put that $100 into a better GPU. Sometimes, choices like these really come down to personal preferences and know how you intend to use your PC and what sort of games you will mostly play.

Great discussion here and I hope it continues so that our community can make smart choices with the limited funds each of us has.

war

P.S. I STILL have that E8400 (Wolfdale) in its original box in my basement. I'm thinking about using it in an HTPC or something like that.

Lol how long did it take to type that up? Anyway joking aside nice summary. My biggest reason for the i5 2500k is really money. I always like to maximize my "bang-for-buck" factor. And heres a good link to display why I do push for the i5 2500k for the gamer:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

This link is a nice benchmark of mainly the i7 2600k and i5 2500k. If you look you notice that not only is the i5 right there under the i7s hinney but in some games is actually BEATING the i7. Interesting results I say. That being said the i7 2600k for gaming based on these benchmarks shows no real gains. To make the situation even hilarious, looking at the I7 980x (the extreme core for 1000 dollars) is getting spanked by the newer i5 and i7. That has to be a real blow to those who spent 1k for those cpus lol. O well, I just wanted to point that. Of course all of us know that gaming is only one of the many things you can do on computers...lol no really. ( XD).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288

Looking at the comparison between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k both once again are neck and neck for the most part. There are several places that the i7 exceeds the i5, but not by a staggering amount.

Lets not for get that we are talking about the unlocked multiplier edition of each and we know that people have been hittin 5.0 ghz on air. So if you ever feel that the i5 is still lacking, you can always oc the shiznit out it :blink:. Anyway thats my argument for the i5 vs i7 for the more budget constraint person like myself. Being a college student is hard on financials.

Ok, so my parents (yes, I'm 15, enough said) are going to go ahead and let me get half of the products for right now; so I will be getting . . .

1. NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

2. GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 (I went with your suggestion, knocked my i7 down to the i5, and adding a HD 6850, switching from NVidia to ATI. and if I do dual SLI, will it be a problem if my two GPU's are from two different brands?)

3. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (gotta get some o' dat ram)

4. ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner (meh, Optical drives, meh)

Ok, so I found out that I will unable to do SLI (me being highly uneducated about sli and what-not), or run ATI and Nvidia together. So what should I do with my 9800gtx+ is there any way that I can put it to use?

Ok, so I found out that I will unable to do SLI (me being highly uneducated about sli and what-not), or run ATI and Nvidia together. So what should I do with my 9800gtx+ is there any way that I can put it to use?

Ok quick lesson!

SLI can be done with NVIDIA cards only and they ahve to be the same type of card, manufacture does not matter, Example:

EVGA gtx 470 + Galaxy GTX 470 is ok.

EVGA gtx 470 + MSI GTX 460 is NOT OK.

Once again the card type matters, not the manufacture, same with ATI.

When you run 2 ATI cards of the same type it is called Crossfire! This is important because when you look at motherboards you have to be able to know if that mother will support Crossfire or SLI. Since you have the 6850 now you need Crossfire Support.

Now if I were you I would probably sell that card. One you already a 6850 and that gtx 9800 is not going to play nice with the ATI card. ( Correct me if Im wrong people). I have seen people use hacked drivers where they use an ATI card for their main graphics and slap in a Nvidia card for Physx, but Physx is dumb and useless (*facesmack I should be more careful bashing things, this is only my opinion about Physx). So I would sell it. See what others can suggest to you before you jump on my suggestion.

Remember asking questions is how you learn, if you dont know ask or google is always a good place to start.

I actually asked the question on answers.yahoo.com and tomshardware.com got good answers they both suggested hacking the 9800 for PhysX except I dont really wanna ruin anything. I think I might just sell it or keep it for later use. I believe the motherboard I have chosen supports crossfire but I might have to go back and check.

Lol how long did it take to type that up? Anyway joking aside nice summary. My biggest reason for the i5 2500k is really money. I always like to maximize my "bang-for-buck" factor. And heres a good link to display why I do push for the i5 2500k for the gamer:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

This link is a nice benchmark of mainly the i7 2600k and i5 2500k. If you look you notice that not only is the i5 right there under the i7s hinney but in some games is actually BEATING the i7. Interesting results I say. That being said the i7 2600k for gaming based on these benchmarks shows no real gains. To make the situation even hilarious, looking at the I7 980x (the extreme core for 1000 dollars) is getting spanked by the newer i5 and i7. That has to be a real blow to those who spent 1k for those cpus lol. O well, I just wanted to point that. Of course all of us know that gaming is only one of the many things you can do on computers...lol no really. ( XD).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288

Looking at the comparison between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k both once again are neck and neck for the most part. There are several places that the i7 exceeds the i5, but not by a staggering amount.

Lets not for get that we are talking about the unlocked multiplier edition of each and we know that people have been hittin 5.0 ghz on air. So if you ever feel that the i5 is still lacking, you can always oc the shiznit out it ;). Anyway thats my argument for the i5 vs i7 for the more budget constraint person like myself. Being a college student is hard on financials.

Here here! Well said!

P.S. Took me about 15 minutes. :P

Just bought my upgrade today from the egg. Should be here soon. After much deliberation (i.e. second guessing and hemming and hawing), I bought the following today:

Item List:

1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R $224.99

1 x ($179.99) MB MSI|P67A-GD65 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R $179.99

2 x ($59.99) MEM 4G|CORSAIR XMS CMX4GX3M1A1600C7 $119.98

1 x ($39.99) CPU COOL SCYTHE| SCMG-2100 RT $39.99

I think, for the money, this should be a really good rig (especially when combined with my other stuff). :D

I will post more (with pics!) and let you know how it goes. If I'm feeling really froggy, I may throw in some screens of benchmarks, etc.

<crosses fingers that none of the parts are DOA>

war

Just bought my upgrade today from the egg. Should be here soon. After much deliberation (i.e. second guessing and hemming and hawing), I bought the following today:

Item List:

1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R $224.99

1 x ($179.99) MB MSI|P67A-GD65 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R $179.99

2 x ($59.99) MEM 4G|CORSAIR XMS CMX4GX3M1A1600C7 $119.98

1 x ($39.99) CPU COOL SCYTHE| SCMG-2100 RT $39.99

I think, for the money, this should be a really good rig (especially when combined with my other stuff). :D

I will post more (with pics!) and let you know how it goes. If I'm feeling really froggy, I may throw in some screens of benchmarks, etc.

<crosses fingers that none of the parts are DOA>

war

Very nice! I'm impressed at how cheap the CPU was. That's one of the newer ones by Intel correct? This shows how important competition is and how we all should be grateful that AMD exists. I support AMD for this very reason. Yea, Intel's CPUs have proven to be faster, but IMO not enough to justify the extra $$$. Although it looks like the extra $$$ isn't as much as it used to be.

Very nice! I'm impressed at how cheap the CPU was. That's one of the newer ones by Intel correct? This shows how important competition is and how we all should be grateful that AMD exists. I support AMD for this very reason. Yea, Intel's CPUs have proven to be faster, but IMO not enough to justify the extra $$$. Although it looks like the extra $$$ isn't as much as it used to be.

I couldn't agree more. Yep, this build will be based on Intel's "Sandy Bridge" LGA 1155 32nm architecture. I'm pretty psyched about it. In the end, I reconsidered and got the core i5 2500K vice the Core i7 2600K because there just wasn't enough bang for the buck in getting the "hyperthreaded" version. I don't do encoding or any of the other things that make hyperthreading worthwhile, so i opted for the straight quad core. More to follow on this once I get the build done!

Impressive, War.

Any reason why you went with 2 single sticks instead of a "matched" pair?

No. I got 8GB total... two 4GB kits (each kit has two 2GB sticks). Seemed like a cheap way to do it is all. Looks like my SNB stuff will arrive Tuesday (29th). :angry:

No. I got 8GB total... two 4GB kits (each kit has two 2GB sticks). Seemed like a cheap way to do it is all. Looks like my SNB stuff will arrive Tuesday (29th). :angry:

One note War is that in your sig it says you have a intel i5 2600k!?!! I would like one too :)

Cool. Let me know what temps you get with that heatsink. I'm running the stock cooler now and need to get something soon.

Cool. Let me know what temps you get with that heatsink. I'm running the stock cooler now and need to get something soon.

If you aren't overclocking, the stock cooler will probably be okay... not great, but okay. If you're going to overclock at all, I recommend either the Hyper 212+ or the Scythe Mugen 2b (the one I got). Either will do a great job. If you're going to order a new cooler, I also recommend adding some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I've had great results with it. Instructions for doing it right are here.

I should have received everything by the time I get home. I dunno if I will be able to build out my rig today, but when I get it up and running, I will do some benchmarks and post the results for all to see.

If you haven't seen my "RAID" post, I just got a great deal on a second WD 300GB Velociraptor that I intend to RAID 0. This should make things interesting!!!!

It is the MSI P67A-GD65. Should be pretty decent.

I think thats the one Im gonna end up getting. I pretty sure everyone has heard me rant about being pissed that all the ATX motherboards with SLI cost about 200+ dollars except for the MSI boards. The only problem i have is that it only has 1 USB header for the front panel...WTF?!

I have seen a ton of people, reviews, and companys like tigerdirect, and maximumpc, using the Asus P8P67 Pro mobo, if it takes too long for the sabertooth to come back out, I might go and get the P8P67 Pro. It looks like a decent board; has a ton of popularity.

I think thats the one Im gonna end up getting. I pretty sure everyone has heard me rant about being pissed that all the ATX motherboards with SLI cost about 200+ dollars except for the MSI boards. The only problem i have is that it only has 1 USB header for the front panel...WTF?!

I just got a biostar that does crossfire/sli for $129.99

I just got a biostar that does crossfire/sli for $129.99

MSI, Asus, Biostar, etc all make pretty decent boards (else they wouldn't be able to hack the competition). My original intent was to get the Asus Pro board, but they were out of stock, so I went with MSI (with UEFI... I HAD to have UEFI!!!!). I can't wait until the weekend to build my system!

MSI, Asus, Biostar, etc all make pretty decent boards (else they wouldn't be able to hack the competition). My original intent was to get the Asus Pro board, but they were out of stock, so I went with MSI (with UEFI... I HAD to have UEFI!!!!). I can't wait until the weekend to build my system!

UEFI is very nice. First motherboard I've had that has correctly recognized my memory settings, and the amount of options on it are amazing.

I had also decided on the pro. But its hard to find right now. No big deal right now but I want i5 before BF3 comes out because im stuggling with Bad Company2 right now and BF3 isnt gonna be any more forgiving.

Gozer was that a micro board? I dont want a micro. I have other shit to add to the motherboard. And later on another gtx 470 if i need to.

Sandy Bridge is up and running!

In fact, I'm doing this post on my new rig!

Props to MSI... everything worked on the very first power up. Memory timings and voltage read and set correctly. Amazing!

The new rig is a mess... gotta clean it up and get the RAID 0 online. Once I get it all set up, I will take some pics and post them. I'm very happy so far!

More to follow.

war sends...

Sandy Bridge is up and running!

In fact, I'm doing this post on my new rig!

Props to MSI... everything worked on the very first power up. Memory timings and voltage read and set correctly. Amazing!

The new rig is a mess... gotta clean it up and get the RAID 0 online. Once I get it all set up, I will take some pics and post them. I'm very happy so far!

More to follow.

war sends...

Shouldnt you have set up raid when you installed windows?

Sign in to follow this