Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
=ADK= warspite

Gaming Rigs

Add this to your list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013&Tpk=corsar%20h70

CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Kicks serious ass. (my 1090T oced from 3.2 to 4.2 and temps of 55c in P95)

Maybe when I get more money, adding 100 more dollars to my current list is just too much for what I can currently afford. but thanks for the suggestion.

Also wait for sandy bridge to come out. The 1155 i7 benches right with 1000 dollar extreme for a little over 300 bucks, cheaper then the i7 your are getting also considering intel has stopped making them. Though 1155 is only dual channel and in 3 way sli you can only get 16x16x8 its not a bad deal, it saves you money while getting better performance. These are just suggestions to think about. If you decide to get 1155 get the P67 chipset instead of h67. P67 supposedly OC better and is for people who want to use their own graphics cards. H67 lets you use the built in gpu on the i5s/i7s. (same for p55 and h55). (Please remember I might not be 100 percent right so if im wrong just correct me nicely and I wont mind ^_^ Im just here to help!)

A fair warning about OCZ ram is that i know a guy that has a computer shop and occasionally i do work for him. I found 8 gbs of ocs reaper ram sitting on his shelf oneday. After inquiring about them he said he cant get OCZ to replace them even though there were under warranty. He said he has see so many OCZ stick going bad all of a sudden. I have used Corsair and G. Skill for several years with out problems, and corsair even replaced a set of dominators that started to die for a 4gb kit that was originally a 2gb kit because they didnt have an exact replacement. :( Once again my experiences.

To be honest i have had a caviar black and in my storm sniper the caviar was so loud! I got the samsung spinpoint f3 and its faster ( faster based on read times) and much more quiet then the caviar. The spinpoint f4 is even faster but current model only has 320gbs. The performance isnt that different between spintpoint or caviar but i like having the faster stuff lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=spinpoint_f3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

Look at the frist 3 and then the 8th one down!

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/h2benchw-3.12-Avg-Read-Throughput,1010.html

Cynda,

I agree with those that recommend waiting until Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155 chipset) is fixed and widely available (that should be very soon). Start off with a solid LGA 1155 chipset mobo and get the best CPU and memory you can afford. I say this because the end is already near for the LGA 1366 and LGA 1156 chipsets. Once you get an LGA 1155 based chipset rig, you should have a pretty solid upgrade path for at least the next couple of years. There is an article in this month's MaximumPC you should look at, as this month's project is building a budget Sandy Bridge gaming PC. The article should be online in the next week or so, but for now you could check it out in the magazine.

I can't recommend strongly enough to base your build on the LGA 1155 chipset. Since it looks from your post above that you can spend about $600 on your CPU, mobo, and RAM, I recommend the following:

CPU: Core i7 2600K. $317. (3.4GHz base, 4 cores, 8 threads, massively overclockable). Begin here and move forward. Make getting this CPU your top priority... you won't regret it. Better to get this CPU and a quality mobo with 4GB RAM... you can always add more RAM later.

Mobo: Recommend a quality ASUS or Gigabyte board that meets your needs

RAM: 4-8GB as you can afford.

By the components you listed above, you appear to be a person who doesn't upgrade often. If that's the case, you really need to go with the a Core i7 2600K based rig. This setup will give you the most bang for the buck for the longest period of time.

As for me, I'm still pretty satisfied with my Core2 Quad Q9550-based rig. My shiny new GTX 570 (upgrading from a GTX 460) should arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to install it. Once that happens, I will post my comments on how it works out in a new thread, along with the NIGHTMARE I went though trying to build a Radeon 6870 Crossfire rig. I shudder just thinking about what a disaster THAT was. Should have some pics as well.

All the best and Happy Building!!!!

War

Thank you very much for all your advice. but i'm not exactly the brightest one of the bunch, so let me get this straight . . .

1. The i7 cpu's have been out for awhile and the sandybridge cpu is coming out soon and should be better all around.

2. Find a mobo that will be compatible with the cpu.

3. I don't care about noise that much with the caviar as long as it gets the job done. I'll probably have music blasting or headphones on anyway.

4. the ram, I was going to buy actually ran out of stock but thanks for the recommendation.

I'll definitely change the CPU if sandybridge really does beat out that 1000 dollar CPU of intels. I'll try to find a new mobo; I have heard some great stuff between Asus and Gigabyte; except its hard to choose, both sides have really good arguments XD. and assuming that the other expected parts to buy are ok, then I'm ok.

Sorry, but I built my rig off a pc gamer magazine that came out last year about the best parts you can get. Then, I redid my rig with what I have heard is the best on the internet. It's truly amazing how fast technology advances. and personally I'm suprised that for only 300 dollars the sandybridge is better than the extreme 1000 dollar cpu.

Thank you very much for your insight. I'm new to computer building and the reputation of companies, and what to buy. There is just so many products out there and its hard to decide between quality or money.

Thanks once again. I'll update again once I have found a mobo, or if you have any recommendations please feel to propose them.

I have decided to send back that q6600. Since it was not making a difference really with my system and it was oc terribly.

One thing about micro boards is I absolutely hate them. I much rather have a full atx form board. For some reason the micros are just really weird looking to me.

I have recompiled my rig . . .

CPU -Intel Core i7 2600k Sandy Bridge - $299.99 (mc)

Motherboard – Asus Sabertooth P67 – To Be Announced (approx. $200)

Ram – Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 - $119.99 (ne)

Hard Drive - Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive - $59.99 (bb)

Case - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $99.99 (ne)

Optical Drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - $17.99 (ne)

Graphics Card – Bought

Power Supply – Bought

Operating System – Windows 7 64-bit – $84.99 (ne)

You liek?

Don't worry about that extra stuff and the prices; thats just for me (I copied and pasted this straight from my word doc.).

Cynda,

Sounds like you've got some quality components lined up there! As long as the mobo you picked gives you the features you want and is made by a good manufacturer, you should be all set. My only comment is with respect to the memory you selected. Not the type, that's fine, it's the amount that I ask you to reconsider. LGA 1155 (and 1156) chipsets use dual-channel memory, not tri-channel like the LGA 1366 chipsets do. If you buy three sticks of RAM (leaving 1 slot open), you won't be able to run your memory in dual channel mode, negatively affecting performance (memory bandwidth). I recommend you use 2 or 4 sticks so that you can run your memory in dual channel mode, giving you max memory bandwidth.

I personally recommend running 8GB memory with an 64-bit OS. You can go with two sticks of 4GB or four sticks of 2GB (that's what I have). Either config will work well, although if you plan to aggressively overclock, you may get better results (memory-wise) by running two 4GB sticks.

war

Cynda,

Sounds like you've got some quality components lined up there! As long as the mobo you picked gives you the features you want and is made by a good manufacturer, you should be all set. My only comment is with respect to the memory you selected. Not the type, that's fine, it's the amount that I ask you to reconsider. LGA 1155 (and 1156) chipsets use dual-channel memory, not tri-channel like the LGA 1366 chipsets do. If you buy three sticks of RAM (leaving 1 slot open), you won't be able to run your memory in dual channel mode, negatively affecting performance (memory bandwidth). I recommend you use 2 or 4 sticks so that you can run your memory in dual channel mode, giving you max memory bandwidth.

I personally recommend running 8GB memory with an 64-bit OS. You can go with two sticks of 4GB or four sticks of 2GB (that's what I have). Either config will work well, although if you plan to aggressively overclock, you may get better results (memory-wise) by running two 4GB sticks.

war

Yeah, since the new chipset came out, there aren't many mobo's out there or even on sale (such as the one I selected).

And really, I didnt really check on the amount; all I checked on was what ram would work with the mobo, and how many gb. I will go ahead and change the ram to either 8gb, or 4gb.

Yeah that new list is much better! What graphics card are you going with? I recommend at least a gtx 460 (buy another later and sli them) or the gtx 470! And the sabertooth board is a very nice pick! Thats the board I will probably get when it comes back out.

As far as the ram im glad warspite pointed that. I am using 4gb currently for gaming and other basic stuff working for me fine, but i think on the next rig i will go with 8gb to maybe...

Yeah that new list is much better! What graphics card are you going with? I recommend at least a gtx 460 (buy another later and sli them) or the gtx 470!

I currently own a NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ so for now, I'll stick with that. Only because of money; and that I don't have money trees in my backyard.

I currently own a NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ so for now, I'll stick with that. Only because of money; and that I don't have money trees in my backyard.

Yeah i know how that goes. but its something to put on the list. I cant wait to be able to get i5.

Yeah i know how that goes. but its something to put on the list. I cant wait to be able to get i5.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Sandy Bridge chipset SATA fix. As of today, still no LGA 1155 mobo's on the 'egg. :)

I went looking around last night and found a few forums praising the Biostar TP67XE, so I went and ordered myself a sandybridge system. Hoping I don't run into problems like the last system, but we'll see what happens...Probably was stupid to do in wake of the sata issue, but a mobo can be replaced.

Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Biostar TP67XE Intel P67 DDR3 LGA1155 ATX Motherboard w/ Crossfire, Sli, 2x PCI-Express X16, SATA 6G, eSATA, GBLAN, Firewire, USB 3.0: TP67XE

I went looking around last night and found a few forums praising the Biostar TP67XE, so I went and ordered myself a sandybridge system. Hoping I don't run into problems like the last system, but we'll see what happens...Probably was stupid to do in wake of the sata issue, but a mobo can be replaced.

Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Biostar TP67XE Intel P67 DDR3 LGA1155 ATX Motherboard w/ Crossfire, Sli, 2x PCI-Express X16, SATA 6G, eSATA, GBLAN, Firewire, USB 3.0: TP67XE

Sounds really good Gozer, let us know how it works out! Show us some Pics!

Here's my Sandy Bridge wish list (newegg.com)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core $330

Memory: 8GB CORSAIR XMS 4GB (x2) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model CMX4GX3M1A1600C7 $140

Mobo: TBA, but probably a mid-grade Asus (~ $200-ish)

Heatsink: Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler $40

* I highly recommend anyone interested check out the reviews on this CPU cooler. It has amazing performance for the money (does even better than the awesome Hyper 212). Of note, it's best to use low profile memory modules with this heatsink.

Yeah I really cant wait to get my hands on the 1155 system. As far as motherboards I am really torn right now. Im thinking a board that has SLI and at least 2 PCIe slots. I like EVGA and I have been eying the Intel extreme boards and ASUS and me have bad history but IF i have too I will get a ASUS board.

And I have the Hyper 212 plus and it is an amazing cooler! It keeps my oc e7200 @ 3.8 (stock 2.53) idle at 37 c and maxes at 53 c.

Yeah I really cant wait to get my hands on the 1155 system. As far as motherboards I am really torn right now. Im thinking a board that has SLI and at least 2 PCIe slots. I like EVGA and I have been eying the Intel extreme boards and ASUS and me have bad history but IF i have too I will get a ASUS board.

And I have the Hyper 212 plus and it is an amazing cooler! It keeps my oc e7200 @ 3.8 (stock 2.53) idle at 37 c and maxes at 53 c.

Reaper,

You are in luck! The LGA 1155 chipset has native support for SLI, so you can't go wrong there and I also think that just about every mid-range ATX board should feature at least two PCIe 16x slots (supports 8x bandwidth for two cards in SLI or crossfire). I am also a big fan of EVGA (I currently have an EVGA GTX 570) and ASUS makes some great stuff as well. When choosing a mobo, I would go with a board that offers UEFI (instead of BIOS). UEFI is the replacement for BIOS and is the wave of the future. UEFI also support boot drives greater than 2TB (Iike the new 3TB HDDs)... BIOS does not.

war

Reaper,

You are in luck! The LGA 1155 chipset has native support for SLI, so you can't go wrong there and I also think that just about every mid-range ATX board should feature at least two PCIe 16x slots (supports 8x bandwidth for two cards in SLI or crossfire). I am also a big fan of EVGA (I currently have an EVGA GTX 570) and ASUS makes some great stuff as well. When choosing a mobo, I would go with a board that offers UEFI (instead of BIOS). UEFI is the replacement for BIOS and is the wave of the future. UEFI also support boot drives greater than 2TB (Iike the new 3TB HDDs)... BIOS does not.

war

XD Thanks for the heads up on the UEFI. Thats also the bios that has the super cool new interface right? I want to get the i5 2500k and oc to atleast 5ghz!

One thing that has gotten me very confused is that only the higher end boards say they are SLI capable, but every other board such as the EVGA ones you have to pay 200 dollars for atleast to get the SLI feature. You said that SLi is native so I am assuming that means that SLI is then available on every motherboard with 2 PCIe slots on the p67 chipset? If so tahts great! I was really not wanting to pay so much for a board for no reason.

And as far as good computer parts manufactures go, a lot of them seem to be biting the dust on customer service and RMAs. I have the EVGA 470 and from now on i will only get evga cards and motherboards. But now im almost to the point I just accept that somethings will die and the companies will not back up their products warranties....

I used to love EVGA but I had 2 bad video cards(gtx280) AND motherboards(nf7) in a row -- the motherboard was an enthusiast model so I kind of expected issues, but definitely did not expect 2 video cards in a row to be bad...

These days it seems like it's less based on the company and more the specific product line. One bad egg can ruin it, especially if that egg just cost you an arm and a leg.

Keep your options open and go with the best reviewed product, you'll save yourself some massive headaches down the line.

Why are you only getting a 9800GT? That build is so unbalanced that it makes my head hurt (no offense meant). Get an i5-2500k and a better graphics card, it'll make a far bigger difference than getting an i7.

And as a side note I'm getting a set of elpida hyper based RAM that can do 1866 with timings of 6-6-6-18 at 1.67V. I can't wait to do some more benching with it!!

Why are you only getting a 9800GT? That build is so unbalanced that it makes my head hurt (no offense meant). Get an i5-2500k and a better graphics card, it'll make a far bigger difference than getting an i7.

Supposing that you are talking to me; its not that I am GETTING a 9800; I already own one, money is bit of an issue and I will upgrade later on.

XD Thanks for the heads up on the UEFI. Thats also the bios that has the super cool new interface right? I want to get the i5 2500k and oc to atleast 5ghz!

One thing that has gotten me very confused is that only the higher end boards say they are SLI capable, but every other board such as the EVGA ones you have to pay 200 dollars for atleast to get the SLI feature. You said that SLi is native so I am assuming that means that SLI is then available on every motherboard with 2 PCIe slots on the p67 chipset? If so tahts great! I was really not wanting to pay so much for a board for no reason.

And as far as good computer parts manufactures go, a lot of them seem to be biting the dust on customer service and RMAs. I have the EVGA 470 and from now on i will only get evga cards and motherboards. But now im almost to the point I just accept that somethings will die and the companies will not back up their products warranties....

As far as I've been able to see, since the LGA 1366 chipset, Intel motherboards (X58, P55, P67) have been supporting SLI natively (at least two PCIe 16x slots). As always, check the spec to make sure the board you are getting has two PCIe 16x slots and supports SLI.

Supposing that you are talking to me; its not that I am GETTING a 9800; I already own one, money is bit of an issue and I will upgrade later on.

get an i5 and a better GPU. A high end processor isnt needed for gaming.

Im gonna have to agree with Shozz, i5 is perfect for gaming, and no one that i know is going to be running tri sli/crossfire so the p67 will do. Besides the i5 2500k is right there with the 1356 i7 cpu anyway. This way you save on the memory, cpu, and possible motherboard.

Im gonna have to agree with Shozz, i5 is perfect for gaming, and no one that i know is going to be running tri sli/crossfire so the p67 will do. Besides the i5 2500k is right there with the 1356 i7 cpu anyway. This way you save on the memory, cpu, and possible motherboard.

I just hate constantly switching my line-up and to get a better gpu is like 200 bucks that I dont have; even if I downgrade the CPU I will still probably be 100 bucks short.

Just received the shipment of everything but the motherboard. And it looks like the new ram is compatible with my current motherboard, so I can throw that and the 6850 in my rig tonight!

I just hate constantly switching my line-up and to get a better gpu is like 200 bucks that I dont have; even if I downgrade the CPU I will still probably be 100 bucks short.

Maybe so, but it isnt just about the money. The i5 yields better overall performance, right there with the current i7 you are getting, saving you a nice 100 dollars as an added bonus!!! Also I read that the ASUS motherboard will support 3.0 usb on all their boards as well as built in BLUETOOTH!!! I just think it would be worth it to switch to the 1155 setup.

Also i was on newegg today, and they have 1155 motherboards back on now, right now they only have 2 biostar boards, and one MSI board listed but thye are coming back people!)(*@)#*#$!#@!!!!!

I just think it would be worth it to switch to the 1155 setup.

I was already planning on going with a 1155 setup, as I stated in my previous post (I was getting the i7-2600k and the Asus Sabertooth P67 Mobo). But I see what your saying about the i7, its not worth the money and the i5 is just the better bang for the buck.

But, I still don't get your point about the GPU, sure it might be old somewhat; but others are expensive and I just see no need to go out and buy another one when my current one still works and it was only bought a year ago. I don't see why I you don't want me to keep my current GPU? I don't have the money currently and I paid around $130.00 for the 9800 GTX+. I hope you can see my POV, and explain more about your reasons (your being kinda vague).

take the i7-2600k down to the i5-2500k = get $100.00 left

Spent around $130.00 on 9800GTX+ . . . . . . . . .

sure prices have dropped, but there wont be much of a difference in GPU quality if I get a new one for around $100.00

If anyone has any GPU recommendations, please suggest (a.k.a ATI vs. NVidia)

And if I do get a new one, what about Dual SLI (I think that's what its called. Where you use 2 GPU's at once?)

Sorry, for the amount of questions

I checked my email today and I got this from EVGA they have discounted pc components. I think they are recertified stuff and has only a 90 day warranty but some of the deals are pretty good!!!

Theres a gtx 460 for 119 and a x58 motherboard LE for 120 as well. This is for anyone whos interested in parts.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

Sign in to follow this