Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
=ADK= warspite

Gaming Rigs

Hi all,

I'm warspite and I enjoy playing the CoD series FPS and I'm also into enthusiast computing. If anyone in the clan has a hardware or software issue, I will do my best to help out. I enjoy overclocking and getting the best (and STABLE) performance from my system. Believe me when I tell you, sacrificing stability for speed is exactly what you do NOT want to do. :-)

Here's a little info about my rig so you can see where my experience lies:

Mobo: DFI LanParty DK P45 T2RS Plus

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (@ 3.2GHz)

Video: NVIDIA GTX460 768MB

RAM: 8GB OCZ 1066 DDR2

HDDs: WD Velociraptor 300GB, WD 1.5TB, WD 320GB

Sound: Creative Xfi Titanium

Monitor: Planar 27"

As you can see, I have no personal experience with AMD or Core i7, so i can't help you there. In the near future, I'm looking to upgrade to the new Sandybridge (LGA 1155 chipset) CPUs, and I have my heart set on the Core i7 2600K. I will probably wind up with an Asus Mobo with UEFI (check out the cool video HERE), as UEFI is the wave of the future and it's looking like the LGA 1155 chipset may endure sort of like LGA 775 did (since Sandybridge is Intel's latest "tock" development increment).

I too wanted to upgrade to Sandybridge, until I saw they're still not triple channel. Thank god they're at least making processors with unlocked multipliers more affordable now.

Do any modding for your overclocking? It took me forever to break 3.1-3.2 GHz stable on my Q6600.

I too wanted to upgrade to Sandybridge, until I saw they're still not triple channel. Thank god they're at least making processors with unlocked multipliers more affordable now.

Do any modding for your overclocking? It took me forever to break 3.1-3.2 GHz stable on my Q6600.

So far, I haven't had to do any modding in order to get my Q9550 to 3.2GHz. I have an Antec 900 case and a Xigmatek S1283 cooler and they do a pretty good job of keeping temps under control. Because of my plans to upgrade to Sandybridge in the near future, I think I will hold off on trying to push my Q9550 any harder (getting it stable at 3.2GHz took about 15 min, LoL) because I will give that CPU to my son (he is currently running a E8400 OC'd to 3.5GHz). Before I got my Q9550, I also had an E8400 that I ran 24/7 at 4.0GHz for about a year. I still have that proc and I have to say that dollar for dollar, it is the best CPU I have ever seen. From what I've read in the reviews so far, only the new Sandybridge 2600K comes close to being as beastly. The specs on that new CPU are simply amazing, expecially its memory bandwidth. Too bad, as you have pointed out, this CPU is married to dual channel memory. Imagine what could be if that CPU were able be paired with triple or quad channel memory. Perhaps in the P7X chipset? Hahahaha.

As for me, I'm glad I didn't upgrade to the 1366 or 1156 sockets as they are already dead men walking. I just didn't see enough benefit of doing so for me to dump my Q9550/P45 chipset. Sure they were a little faster, but with a moderate OC I'm able to get comparable performance from my Core2 for daily chores and never saw my CPU as a bottleneck for gaming (always the GPU).

Cheers!

War

Sandybridge definitely looks pretty cool. I heard they're trying to make pc's more like consoles though...not too sure how I feel about that.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't read about it much, but it looks like overclocking options are going to become really limited on future processors. We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

Overclocking on the new processors have their pros and cons. It's all done by the multiplier now, which is only unlocked on the "K" series, the equivalent of the new Extreme Editions.

The good: No more shelling out $1,000 for an unlocked multiplier. It's really easy to overclock now, especially with automatic voltages.

The bad: The FSB is almost useless for overclocking. You still need to pay a bit more for the "K" edition.

New reviews out for sandybridge. Looks like the new $300 sandybridge CPU has trumped (by 10% or more) then the I7 extreme $1000 CPU out now. Pretty dominating and with inboard graphic built into the CPU.

Should be some great bang for the buck from everything I've read. If you go with the ASUS Pro mobo, you can get UEFI (instead of BIOS), which will enable you to boot from drives greater than 2TB (for you storage monsters).

Overclocking on the new processors have their pros and cons. It's all done by the multiplier now, which is only unlocked on the "K" series, the equivalent of the new Extreme Editions.

The good: No more shelling out $1,000 for an unlocked multiplier. It's really easy to overclock now, especially with automatic voltages.

The bad: The FSB is almost useless for overclocking. You still need to pay a bit more for the "K" edition.

Is overclocking really necessary anymore? Do you really see that much difference for a few .1 ghz.?

To me, stock speeds are fast enough and it's not worth the risk of burning out / shortening the lifetime of your hardware. On top of that, you have to worry about stability. I have a theory that mobo companies encourage overclocking to reduce the life expectancy of their products and force you to upgrade more often! :D

I think it could be justified back when speeds were below 1-2ghz.. but in today's age with 3GHZ+ quad-core processors..the speed of the processor is rarely the bottleneck...right?

And this is why you should buy yourself some 3TB drives :P

WD 3TB Hard Drive

...one day in the not too distant future we'll be laughing at this discussion about measly 3TB drives...

Is overclocking really necessary anymore? Do you really see that much difference for a few .1 ghz.?

To me, stock speeds are fast enough and it's not worth the risk of burning out / shortening the lifetime of your hardware.

It's certainly measurable, but often not easily observed in real-world application. However, if something like the CPU is too slow for the rest of the system (IE, the GPU) then abating this bottleneck through overclocking can really boost performance without having to upgrade. Plus, with proper cooling and overclocking hardware, you really don't shorten life-expectancy that much. You'd have to be running your CPU for decades to notice that kind of degradation in precision. Light use like web browsing would probably still be perfectly fine.

On top of that, you have to worry about stability. I have a theory that mobo companies encourage overclocking to reduce the life expectancy of their products and force you to upgrade more often! :D
Nah man, that was just the American motor industry in the 80s/90s. :lol: It's possible but I doubt it because more companies have more and longer warranties than ever. They would just lose too much money replacing all that hardware after encouraging their customers to go nuts.

I think it could be justified back when speeds were below 1-2ghz.. but in today's age with 3GHZ+ quad-core processors..the speed of the processor is rarely the bottleneck...right?

Arguable. There was plenty of resistance to chipset manufactures moving towards the parallelism we see today with all the cores and threads. Designers and programmers would (and do) have to completely change how everything is written to take advantage of that. You obviously see this issue playing out today with expensive proprietary and load-intensive software (coughvideogamescough) varying in their ability to utilize such technology. Some games like Crysis, Bad Company 2 and GTA or software like 3DSMax/Photoshop will just eat up multiple cores. But run an older game or application and you wont see your quadcore break 25% (equivalent of one core) for that process, despite the load being stretched across all four processors.

So to answer you question really, yes it's still quite useful. Sometimes the only way to get older applications to run faster is to overclock--it's just not plain capable of using all available cores and resources. And then of course there's applications that are so demanding they will easily max out any hexacore or octacore and you'll need to overclock if you want more.

...one day in the not too distant future we'll be laughing at this discussion about measly 3TB drives...

We should have been way over 3TB by now if companies like Seagate kept their word. Been waiting for this for what feels like ages.

If you where running a I7 3.0 with at least 6gb of DDR3, and SSD drive, and the latest extreme intel chip-set mobo, the best GPU (for Gaming anyways :lol: ) would be your bottle neck, which would also depend on your monitor used. :D Best tech now, and a really good monitor with high res and size, your GPU would be your bottle neck.

For us guys on a budget, the CPU's are all made the same, just locked lower for a lot of reasons, we just hope we get lucky and get a good core that can run as fast, if not faster then the extreme high end CPU.

My Rig:

PSU:KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

CPU-Cooler: CORSAIR CWCH50

CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz

RAM- OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

Mobo - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU - XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Extra Flow - AeroCool 120mm Turbine 2000 Fan - BLACK

Lighting ( :D ) - Logisys Dual 12" Cold Cathode Kit - Blue

I have oc'ed the CPU to 4.1-4.2ghz stable (55c at full load) along with the ram (at higher voltage) and gpu (400 to 900mhz).

I was averaging about 140fps on tf2 previous to the oc-ing, and after I get in the range of 200-250 in game so all the work that went into getting a stable system was worth it. I feel if you have the ability to squeeze a few extra fps out of a system you should. My bottleneck these days is my RAIDed 5200rpm HD's.

-ShawnGC

Given the state of today's PC technology, there are some good points to be made for and against overclocking. For me, I overclock moderately just for the fun of it, not because I need the extra performance. Before I upgraded to my Q9550 Core 2 Quad CPU, I was amazed at how easy it was for my to run my E8400 Core 2 Duo (E0 stepped) at 4.2GHz 24/7 with nary a problem at all. That is a 140% overclock with air cooling! What an amazing processor! Only the Core i7 2600K seems as impressive to me (bang for the buck-wise). These days, I run my Q9550 at 3.2GHz (up from 2.83GHz) 24/7 and it's pretty solid. I haven't taken the time yet to see how far I can push it. Those of you who OC know how tricky (and tough) it can be to push a quad core CPU. My son, war_jr is running an E8400 at 3.5GHz and every game he plays runs smooth as butter with the GTX460 he got for Christmas (at 1650x1080).

I agree with the person above that stated that the bottleneck of any gaming PC with a Core 2 CPU is likely going to be the video card. I just installed a second monitor on my rig, so now I can watch the CPU performance as I game. I was surprised to see that as I played CoD WaW, my CPU loafed along at about 30 percent load across all four cores. I thought for sure that there would be a much greater load on my processor. Sure, it would be neat to upgrade to Sandy Bridge right now, but if the games I'm playing don't even tax my Core 2 Quad, maybe my current system has some life left in it after all.

I've never done crossfire, so I think my next upgrade might be to install a pair of Radeon 6850s and see how that works out. From the reviews I've read, they overclock very easily and outperform just about any single processor GPU at a fraction of the cost of a top end Nvidia or AMD card.

gg

war

Good idea with the dual 6850's.

Actually just priced out a sub $1000 sandybridge system including dual 6850's...now I just need to find that money, haha

My Rig:

• Mobo: gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
  • RAM: Kingston DDR3 Hyper-X 4GB (2X2) CL9 1600 mhz
  • GPU: Sapphire radeon HD 6950 2GB
  • HD: 2X WD Velociraptors 150GB in RAID0
  • PSU: XFX Black edition 750W modular 80+ silver certified
  • Sound card: Creative labs sound blaster X-Fi titanium fatality pro edition (PCI-E)
  • Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922
  • CPU cooler: CoolerMaster V8
  • DVDRW: Asus 20x lightscribe

Everything is running at stock speed now because i am still satisfied :)

Sk00.

If you where running a I7 3.0 with at least 6gb of DDR3, and SSD drive, and the latest extreme intel chip-set mobo, the best GPU (for Gaming anyways B) ) would be your bottle neck, which would also depend on your monitor used. :) Best tech now, and a really good monitor with high res and size, your GPU would be your bottle neck.

Completely wrong from a technical standpoint. You could argue that the GPU is the only way to improve the computer at that point and the rest of the system will not hold back an even faster GPU (and therefor limiting the performance), but the SSD is still the bottleneck of the system. Even a SSD pushing 300MBp/s down the pipe is FAR slower than the amount of data a GPU turns out. On top of that, you're pushing way more data through the memory and video card buses than any hard drive could do. Haven't you seen the famous videos up people stacking a dozen or more SSDs in RAID0? Yeah, they're still the bottleneck even then.

I was surprised to see that as I played CoD WaW, my CPU loafed along at about 30 percent load across all four cores. I thought for sure that there would be a much greater load on my processor.

Just because your CPU isn't hitting max load doesn't mean you're not hitting a CPU limitation or a GPU bottleneck.

Completely wrong from a technical standpoint. You could argue that the GPU is the only way to improve the computer at that point and the rest of the system will not hold back an even faster GPU (and therefor limiting the performance), but the SSD is still the bottleneck of the system. Even a SSD pushing 300MBp/s down the pipe is FAR slower than the amount of data a GPU turns out. On top of that, you're pushing way more data through the memory and video card buses than any hard drive could do. Haven't you seen the famous videos up people stacking a dozen or more SSDs in RAID0? Yeah, they're still the bottleneck even then.

Yes, but depends.... Tested (in hopefully a real world applications) Gaming loads a "map" or level into your memory, then runs from your memory, saving and etc runs to the HD (usually why you get the stutter while auto save), also the reason consoles are so limited, why Valve can't release updates for TF2 on 360.... At the same point testing running max memory or taking advantage of tri or dual channel which is better? Most test found 6GB in a gaming system, running in tri was the fastest, test was run by Maximum PC about a year ago? so may be out dated by now...lol

technical wrong, yes, gaming real world.... Guess it is more opinion then proven, I would like to see the test though...

Good idea with the dual 6850's.

Actually just priced out a sub $1000 sandybridge system including dual 6850's...now I just need to find that money, haha

Hahaha, that's always the trick, isn't it? :)

Just because your CPU isn't hitting max load doesn't mean you're not hitting a CPU limitation or a GPU bottleneck.

You are absolutely right and that is a great observation. While CPU or GPU performance may not be maxed out per se, the interface controllers and buses that connect them can max out or run out of bandwidth, causing various components to have idle cycles as they await data they are sending or receiving.

You are absolutely right and that is a great observation. While CPU or GPU performance may not be maxed out per se, the interface controllers and buses that connect them can max out or run out of bandwidth, causing various components to have idle cycles as they await data they are sending or receiving.

And this is why money should be invested in a mobo with good chipset on it...

Here's my rig:

i7-970@4.5GHz 1.3975V Stable (I had it running at 4.75GHz stably enough for a superpi run)

Asus P6X58D-E

6GB Corsair Dominator 1600 8-8-8-24

eVGA GTX 580@1GHz Core clock

Antec 1200 (I bought an 800D yesterday but I have to finish modding it to fit my radiator before I can use it)

Corsair AX1200

3x 500GB caviar black in RAID 5

And its all cooled by the following loop:

EK HF Supreme

Koolance VID-NX580

MCP355 Pump

Black Ice GTX 480 Radiator

And some cheap swiftech reservoir

So if anyone wants help with the 1366 i7's or watercooling then I can definitely help. I'm planning on getting a second 580 for SLi once prices drop, one of the newer SATA 6GB/s SSDs when they come out and Ivy Bridge.

Here's my rig:

i7-970@4.5GHz 1.3975V Stable (I had it running at 4.75GHz stably enough for a superpi run)

Asus P6X58D-E

6GB Corsair Dominator 1600 8-8-8-24

eVGA GTX 580@1GHz Core clock

Antec 1200 (I bought an 800D yesterday but I have to finish modding it to fit my radiator before I can use it)

Corsair AX1200

3x 500GB caviar black in RAID 5

And its all cooled by the following loop:

EK HF Supreme

Koolance VID-NX580

MCP355 Pump

Black Ice GTX 480 Radiator

And some cheap swiftech reservoir

So if anyone wants help with the 1366 i7's or watercooling then I can definitely help. I'm planning on getting a second 580 for SLi once prices drop, one of the newer SATA 6GB/s SSDs when they come out and Ivy Bridge.

Sounds very impressive! Can you post a pic?

Sounds very impressive! Can you post a pic?

I will as soon as I find the USB cable for my camera :huh:

Shozzking, what kind of temps do you see with your water cooling setup(load/normal)?

When my CPU is overclocked then I generally see an idle of 19C to 22C and a load temp of around 40C to 47C. My GPU idles at 25C and maxes out at 40C although generally it stays around 35 when gaming. The one downside with liquid cooling is that as soon as one component heats up then the rest go to roughly the same temp, so the coolest running component will still run at roughly the same temp as the hottest part. I'm debating a second loop just for my CPU but I'm not quite sure if its worth the cost as my temps are already crazy low.

When my CPU is overclocked then I generally see an idle of 19C to 22C and a load temp of around 40C to 47C. My GPU idles at 25C and maxes out at 40C although generally it stays around 35 when gaming. The one downside with liquid cooling is that as soon as one component heats up then the rest go to roughly the same temp, so the coolest running component will still run at roughly the same temp as the hottest part. I'm debating a second loop just for my CPU but I'm not quite sure if its worth the cost as my temps are already crazy low.

Agreed. Looks like your system is doing AWESOME!

Im new on this forum but I love talking about computers and different configurations. Ironicly I just bought a q6600 because my e7200 (oc to 3.8) is just not cutting it now because of the games requiring quad cores. BF BC2, probably BF3, and Homefront is requiring a quad, as well as crysis 2. There was an extreme core qx6700 for 200 but i decided to get the q6600 and wait for the sandybridge to come back on the market. I have heard that the oc potential on those chips are phenomenal i have seen people hit over 5ghz on AIR!

My current rig:

EVGA 680i

E7200 OC to 3.8 ghz (Just bought a q6600 for temporary use)

G skill PI 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Corsair 750tx

EVGA gtx 470

Hyper 212+ Cooler

1 Samsung Spinpoint f3 (According to tomshardware.com charts this is the 2nd fastest hdd after the velociraptor)

2 seagate 160 gbs

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Other crap:

Razer Lycosa keyboard

G500 mouse

I want to add water cooling and get the new sandy bridge when they come back out. I have OC the crap out of the e7200 i think, i have hit 1.34 on the vcore and dont really want to push it to 4. I have heard that chip oc like mad but im happy with 2.53 to 3.8. I got the q6600 because of bottlenecking, i know it wont help much but the extra 2 cores will help in blackops and bad company 2 since im lacking the processing power department.

I'm kinda new with the computer parts kind of; though I have replaced a power supply and graphics card last year. but for the past couple years I have been wanting to build my own computer, and I think thats actually gonna come true. I'm making a little by little of money, saving up for the whole sha-bang.

I'm planning on buying these parts for my rig . . .

CPU -Intel Core i7 950 Processor BX80601950

Motherboard - Intel Desktop Board DP55KG Motherboard

Ram - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Hard Drive - Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive

Case - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Optical Drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Operating System – Windows 7 64-bit

And I have currently own the following . . .

Graphics Card - NVidia GeForce 9800GTX+

Power Supply - Corsair 750w

Keyboard - Logitech G19

Mouse - Razer Mamba

Display - Samsung 22" 1920x1280

If you have any thoughts about what I'm planning on getting please share them, there are just so many parts out there it gets confusing when you have to balance between quality and price.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this