Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Pilgrim

The American Dream is it over?

Hello ya'll, I was wondering what you folk's think about "The American Dream". ? Is it gone? Or do we Still have a Fighting chance at it?

I Love George Carlin, He was never afraid to speak his Mind..

Peace & Love

Pilgrim

O.K. will do when I get home from work, I'm kinda Tore up right now, We just found out our Daughter has Stage 4 Cancer. Sorry for not explaining very well, ....

Peace

Pilgrim

The American Dream has almost always been unrealistic. As the standard of living rises in a society, so does the bar for the dream.

Sorry about your daughter though. :unsure:

wow, I have 6 kids and cant imagine.

The dream is Putting food on the table, providing shelter, seeing a smile, your wife giving you a kiss when you dont expect it, watching your kids play sports / computer games(not console :( ) / music. The American Dream gives us the ability to do this to the next level.

As Im typing a response on my computer, attached to a comcast fiber connection thinking about gaming this weekend with 4 of my kids sitting in the same room as me all with headphones/mics on, screaming at the top of their lungs because of the game noise and knowing I'll be yelling at them "I'm right here quit screaming".

All that comes to mind is how could we not see we're all living the American Dream? The dream is alive and well. Anything is possible, only thing holding you back is yourself...

gg

Hi ya'll, I kinda screwed up. I Had all the best intentions of explaining what I believe is/was "The American Dream" At least the way I see it. And to hear your views, Everybody's different I think.

But right now my mind is somewhat of a Blur. I have to be in Springfield IL tomorrow morning, and at the Oncologist's Monday at 10:00 am. Our Daughter is very ill, and we need to be with her.

Maybe when I get home my head will be a little more clear, I didn't mean to drop a downer bomb in my own thread, It just came out.. I feel knida Fucked about it . Sorry

Take care, and Thank You EvilChipMunk, I do need you guys i'm just not very good at this right now..

Peace ya'll

Much<3

Pilgrim

To begin with, id like to give my best wishes to pilgrim's family, i am sure we will be here if you need us.

In any case, i definitely think that the american dream is still very much in existence. Sure its changed much in the form over the years, but the essence is still there. The american dream (at least as i see it) is to obtain happiness and freedom in life, usually by acquiring wealth in an innovative and fresh field. People have long sought to come to america for the opportunity provided by the environment. People live the american dream by rising from rags to ritches, wether it be by receiving new freedoms, developing new products, or taking things to scales never before seen in the world. I believe that innovation and motivation is still rampant among much of the american populace, its just that now the standards for success are rising ever higher. i think that one of the largest reasons many people believe the american dream is disappearing is because the united states is moving away from manufacturing to a service economy. This means that everything is now made in chine, but guess what, we financed it, shipped it, and managed that production. In other words, i think that the american dream (at least in the sense of entrepeneruship) is still very much alive, just that to attain the american dream one must now think and operate away from the united states. The american dream has graduated from a simple journey to a promised land to the idea of progress, success, and liberty.

My only problem with the current advancement of the United States is the move to political correctness and avoidance of conflict. I think that this country was founded on principles of boldness and ingenuity as well as liberty and personal choice. Much of the sentiment in this nation is moving towards blandness, lazyness, and just sheer stupidity. I still feel that this is the greatest nation in the world, with tons of opportunity and liberties that are rarely granted anywhere else. Overall i feel that the dream still exists, but in these current turbulent times it is up to the bold to seize the opportunity that this country provides and make their own luck.

Theres no such thing as free lunch,

Sir Lladz

P.S. It was fun as hell writing this

I believe the American dream as we know it is gone.

What happened to everyone owning their own home? A little slice to call your own, so you can work for something, not for someone?

One of many examples today, takes a bit of resource, but you can find the truth!

The Euro will fail with in the next 10 years, who stands to gain the most? And as a result Germany will once again be united with its own economy again!

Who really benefited from the Bank buy out?

The American Dream is what we make of it so I think it's wrong to say that it is "dead". Some people think the American Dream should be handed to us or that we as Americans are entitled to it, but that is not--nor ever was--the case. No, like every dream, hard work, dedication, and a little luck play into obtaining it.

Pilgrim, I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. You and your family are in our thoughts and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

"Never, never, never, never give up." -- Winston Churchill

i too think that the buyout of the banks was unwarranted. although it hurts, the basic principles of capitalism indicate that we should have let those banks fail. why should the goverment intercede on behalf of a private industry? the goverment was supporting an industry that deserved to fail because of its own stupidity. if we lived by the capitalism we were founded on we would have allowed those banks to fail and let new and smaller banks who had made smart business decisions rise to the top of the economic chain. As to what whatsupdude said about making an exception for people, the problem is that everyone would want to be the exception, and that would be just shitty buiness. As to my understanding of the subprime loans that crushed much of america, i believe that alot of the blame was with the banks giving them but that the people that took them were at fault as well. many of these people took homes and loans for ridiculous amounts which they would only be able to afford under the best of economic times (and only barely...).

As far as jizacksons comments that you need to work for the dream, i completely agree, it is not americas job to GIVE us a home, a career, and happiness, only to ALLOW us to achieve it on our own accord. The american dream (whatever you choose to define it) is not a RIGHT, its a privilege to be earned through hard work and dedication.

Disclaimer: I am a socal darwinist (i believe that the economy solves its own problems, the market is the strongest force on earth. furthermore i believe in small goverment and little intervention)

i too think that the buyout of the banks was unwarranted. although it hurts, the basic principles of capitalism indicate that we should have let those banks fail. why should the goverment intercede on behalf of a private industry? the goverment was supporting an industry that deserved to fail because of its own stupidity. if we lived by the capitalism we were founded on we would have allowed those banks to fail and let new and smaller banks who had made smart business decisions rise to the top of the economic chain. As to what whatsupdude said about making an exception for people, the problem is that everyone would want to be the exception, and that would be just shitty buiness. As to my understanding of the subprime loans that crushed much of america, i believe that alot of the blame was with the banks giving them but that the people that took them were at fault as well. many of these people took homes and loans for ridiculous amounts which they would only be able to afford under the best of economic times (and only barely...).

Agreed!!! MAN, that is no argument when you agree... damn it!!!!!!!!! I was a fueled up to flame till it burned!!!

GG