Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
plaxus

XBMC, Kodi, etc

Anyone running XBMC, kodi, plex, myth?

I currently run XBMC front ends connected to a backend mysql/xbmc machine.

Sickbeard/usenet setup.  

Can anyone relate?  

I have a media centre with a dual channel freesat card which I plan to use as the back end server for a couple of media centres in my living room and kitchen, prob going with xbmc/kodi for the server as the kitchen box is a Raspberry Pi running kodi, the living room on is still in bits but is a and e350 board with HDMI out and will be there for movies and TV while the Pi will mainly be for music and some movies.

Those are the plans anyway... :)

@[member='Dylbags99']  I ended up settling on a WAMP server running mysql for an XBMC backend.  For the front end, I have my first Kodibuntu server pointing back to the database for movie shares, info, etc.   This way when I setup my next box, it can share the same libraries.

I'm renovating my house bit by bit, doing the sitting room(TV room) at thee moment, once done will have to pick your brains when it comes to setting up the media server and centres.

@[member='Bromance']  I already run a couple of websites so adding the XBMC database to this server was a no brainer.  

Edited by plaxus

@[member='CipherLogic']  Nice and simple.  I used to do that but felt I needed more.   That method wasn't really passing the wife test and I wanted to also be able to sort and watch trailers.  I also like sending youtube videos from my phone to the XBMC.   I know there are a lot of other solutions out there but I figured I would try something new and learn more about linux in the process.  

Running Plex with a couple hundred movies on a Ubuntu 14.04 box that doubles as my file/backup server. Setup took all of about ten minutes.

Clients include Plasma's/LCD's with Roku devices and tables and phones running plex app. Remote access via Plex cloud has never been problematic except for a few network connection drops unrelated to the service.

Things I really like about it include auto polling metadata and related content (posters, trailers, behind the scenes, etc...) for titles, upcoming movie trailers for new theater releases, and a ton of menu options for movie playlists. New content added via a samba network share to the server drive is auto detected and added to unwatched at the top of my menu.

I can't really think of anything bad to say about the product/service.

Edited by lvcircuit

@[member='plaxus']

Google definitely fills in the gaps. :)

Here is a guide I bookmarked that never gave me any issues with installing Plex on my Ubuntu server.

Edited by lvcircuit

I have used the very first versions of xbmc way back when it started on the first hacked xbox platform , today i use it on wnidows , Pi, Lini, Adnroid , but i have not really needed to use the addons as i use a nas freenas , Sickbeard and usenet i would have setup as jails on the freenas if i was to use them . Central backend on mysql sounds cool enough for media and schema setups ? 

I take it you want one central storage and download extract / unpar repository and central DB for all devices on lan and external ?