Photo

Wanna play TF2 like the pros? :-p [REPOST]

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jizackson

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

..Use this config I got from arcturus. It disables all the eye candy but who cares TF2's gfx suck anyway. I use this config and my fps & frag count have gone up big time.

Check out the attached zip file and extract it in your

C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steamapps\<username>\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

directory.

Then, edit your tf2 launch options with the following:

-noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd +cl_showfps 1 -novid -noipx -nojoy -nosync -nocrashdialog -w 1280 -h 800 -full -dxlevel 81 +exec arc.cfg

You can modify your resolution in the launch options -w and -h (currently it's set to 1280x800 which is a pro approved resolution).

Also, you can change from -full to -windowed if you want window mode instead of fullscreen. I prefer windowed mode but it isn't pro-approved.

Next, load TF2 and close it.

Then, remove the "-dxlevel 81" from the launch options. This is important when enabling directx 8.1. Otherwise, your video settings will be reset each time you load tf2.

Thanks to arcturus for the pro config. Let me know if you have any problems installing.

Attached File  arc.zip   2.26KB   76 downloads

#2 NRG

NRG

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 56 posts
Bad
    IGN:[HsE]NRG

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

Don't forget -noborder, it's good for windowed mode. I use windowed mode too but not for serious play because it causes frame rates to fluctuate more and the in-game brightness becomes incorrect.

You can use almost any width/height values you want, but I stick to correct 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9 ratios. The game is optimized for those and not bizarre resolutions.

#3 A Jockey's Ballsack

A Jockey's Ballsack

Addict

• =ADK= Inactive Member
  • 423 posts
Excellent
    IGN:=ADK= A Jockey's Ballsack

Donator

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Don't forget -noborder, it's good for windowed mode. I use windowed mode too but not for serious play because it causes frame rates to fluctuate more and the in-game engine becomes incorrect.

You can use almost any width/height values you want, but I stick to correct 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9 ratios. The game is optimized for those and not bizarre resolutions.

I'm a rebel, I roll with 3:24

#4 Sk00maKing

Sk00maKing

• =ADK= Inactive Member
  • 22 posts
Neutral
    IGN:Sk00maKing

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

Why disabling a bunch of graphic options ? Is it because the game is too heavy on video card ? If so, why not upgrade that piece of hardware ?

Sorry for the question, but i have never played TF2 in my life and i didn't tought it was GPU intensive.

Sk00.

#5 NRG

NRG

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 56 posts
Bad

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

Why disabling a bunch of graphic options ? Is it because the game is too heavy on video card ? If so, why not upgrade that piece of hardware ?

Sorry for the question, but i have never played TF2 in my life and i didn't tought it was GPU intensive.

Sk00.

TF2 is the only game some people play on their PC. Most people don't feel like upgrading their computer for a single game, especially in tight times. The game isn't optimized for 32 players either, causing frames drops even on decent machines in large servers. Doesn't bother most people, but some people can't stand anything below 60 fps.

#6 Bromance

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

The Valve source Engine is a hacked and upgraded unreal engine (from WAY back). I am not a coder or an expert, but what I do know and trying to "play" around with the editors. The engine is held together by threads (probably why updates break more then fix). As NRG stated, Some of the maps where made for 12 players. Just before Beta they up the server slots to 24. Many servers run 32 slots, and you will experienced lag spikes and some minor issues when the servers reach full use.

TF2 is an older game, and Valve likes to be able to run on all computers, so unlike consoles, which are FPS locked (usually around 30), TF2 will fluctuate A LOT with performance of each computer and the server all combined to effect most players on a server. My beast will go from 100FPS to 25FPS (some times even lower) during a average game. Most other games stays real steady (COD4 was locked for PC..) and will drop when a lot of action, like 10 plus players fighting in the same area of the server all with in view of each other...

#7 Fonrus

Fonrus

• =ADK= Inactive Member
  • 14 posts
Neutral
    IGN:[G4B2S]ShawnGC

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

I get 230 fps on my rig ^_^
OT, This is great for when you need to squeeze an extra 20% fps out of your graphics card.

#8 jizackson

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

I have GTX 470 and still prefer these settings. Do you get 230fps in a 32 player firefight?

With this config, I'm able to stick around 80 to 100 fps even in the worst conditions (32 players going bananas on payload server). And, that is exactly the time you need those extra fps.

#9 NRG

NRG

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 56 posts
Bad

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

The Valve source Engine is a hacked and upgraded unreal engine (from WAY back).

I don't know where you got that idea from. Source is an upgraded version of goldsource (Half Life 1) and goldsource is a modified version of idtech3, more commonly known as the quake engine. I guess it's easy to mix up idtech and UE because of all their similarities. However, UE was definitely conceived by Tim Sweeney who has nothing to do with idtech or source.

The engine is held together by threads (probably why updates break more then fix). As NRG stated, Some of the maps where made for 12 players. Just before Beta they up the server slots to 24. Many servers run 32 slots, and you will experienced lag spikes and some minor issues when the servers reach full use.

I was talking more about the fact that TF2 is not optimized for 24 for players or more at all, not necessarily the amount of players the levels are balanced for.

I have GTX 470 and still prefer these settings. Do you get 230fps in a 32 player firefight?

With this config, I'm able to stick around 80 to 100 fps even in the worst conditions (32 players going bananas on payload server). And, that is exactly the time you need those extra fps.

Ditto. My 470 lets me play at highest settings with 32x SSAA in TF2 if I want, but TF2 (source all together really) just doesn't like the Fermi architecture at all. If I want constant 60+ fps in even the most hectic situations, I need to run a config. Those with ATI cards tend to fair much better in TF2 because of the more traditional rendering methods ATI use however.

#10 jizackson

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

Ditto. My 470 lets me play at highest settings with 32x SSAA in TF2 if I want, but TF2 (source all together really) just doesn't like the Fermi architecture at all. If I want constant 60+ fps in even the most hectic situations, I need to run a config. Those with ATI cards tend to fair much better in TF2 because of the more traditional rendering methods ATI use however.

yea, overall I'm pretty disappointed in my 470. I don't see great framerates in any of my games. Killing Floor runs like shit. BC2 framerates are unimpressive. TF2 runs like you said. And, it runs HOT. 80C degrees with heavy load.

I kinda wish I went the ATI route. In fact, my next cards will be AMD Crossfire.

#11 Bromance

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

Yes my bad quake, was messing with the unreal sdk stuff they released, so was stuck on my mind. Rest of it is my opinion I stand by!! Lol

#12 Fonrus

Fonrus

• =ADK= Inactive Member
  • 14 posts
Neutral
    IGN:[G4B2S]ShawnGC

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

I run ATI (*hides*). My 5830 lags to around 130 fps under full load in max res/settings. Is it maybe your cpu that is bottle necking the game? It would make sense since your card is technically better than mine.

#13 jizackson

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

nah i run phenom II x4 3.4ghz

Amazing that you get those rates... How far Nvidia has fallen.

#14 NRG

NRG

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 56 posts
Bad

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

In Nvidia's defense, their designs are much more bold compared to ATI now. I feel that computer engineers would argue it's moving forward as apposed to turbo charging or stacking old technology like ATI. It just sucks for a lot of games right now because of how different it is. Plus, lots of games these days are developed for consoles and then ported to PC. Xbox 360 is commonly the lead platform and that uses ATI. Sooooo, you tend to get stuff running better on ATI despite Nvidia hardware being much faster on paper. You can see it in some software. IE Nvidia still remains price/performance competitive in some games like Metro 2033, Crysis, Dead Space or benchmarking programs.

#15 jizackson

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

That's all nice and dandy.. but I want performance. Yea, nVidia may support more features and be better on paper, but my gtx470 will be obsolete in a few years regardless of that...

I want a card that performs well NOW. Bottom line - nVidia has failed hard in the last few years.

#16 Bromance

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

That's all nice and dandy.. but I want performance. Yea, nVidia may support more features and be better on paper, but my gtx470 will be obsolete in a few years regardless of that...

I want a card that performs well NOW. Bottom line - nVidia has failed hard in the last few years.

Agree, since the first release of the 200 series, the performance gains have been insignificant compared to previous years. 10-20% sounds good, but.... when in reality it is 5 FPS...
Considering the new CPU's, memory, and chip-sets out, the GPU's are basically the bottleneck now. Aries has 460's in SLI and barley leaks ahead of my single 280GTX. Some games pretty good gain, but mostly games my 280 gets over a 100FPS anyways, so you do not notice a difference anyways.

#17 Monkey

Monkey

Enthusiast

• =ADK= Members
  • 71 posts
Good
    IGN:Monkey

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Am I the only one that doesnt have a gaming rig? ;( Anyway, thanks for the share, that config's gonna help my FPS a bit, cus my ridiculous laptop can't handle recommended settings :/ ... Oh well. Lol

#18 NRG

NRG

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 56 posts
Bad

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

That's the thing though. Because of it's nature it may not become obsolete so fast compared to ATI depending on how games turn out to be in the next few years.

Am I the only one that doesnt have a gaming rig? ;( Anyway, thanks for the share, that config's gonna help my FPS a bit, cus my ridiculous laptop can't handle recommended settings :/ ... Oh well. Lol

I recommend chris' maxframes config for people really struggling often. I used it as a starting position for my config but it's a lot more aggressive than Arc's when it comes to lowering detail and making your game hideous.

#19 uPoon pawns all

uPoon pawns all

• =ADK= Inactive Member
  • 11 posts
Neutral
    IGN:uPoon or Tyle

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

The age old Nvidia vs ATI debate. Both are great, Nvidia always seems to be an inch ahead. That's why I own an ATI - 3870x2.

I personally miss the days when the new releases made you have to upgrade your Vid-card everytime. I havent upgraded since COD4.

gg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users